kdx for motocross

Joemoto

Aug 30, 2001
Any of you guys use your bikes on a motocross track I think im going to give mine a try I found a track with doubles and a tabletop nothing really big I have a 200 with xr400 springs in fork I am 170lbs without gear bike works good in woods just wondering how it will work on track any input or suggestions would be helpful the bike is a 2000 model thanks

Razorback

Jul 12, 2002
I have been riding my 220 a lot at the track lately.I'm 215 so I uped the springs to .44 up front and 5.2 rear.Went to 10wt oil in the forks and it is a far better bike on the track then it was a month ago.The vet track I ride most has several tabletops and a few doubles and it handles them quite well.My only complaint is the gearbox.While the six speed makes it a great enduro bike it is a handicap on the track.To much shifting.I always feel like I'm in the wrong gear when I try to ride fast.I stay off the expert track.The jumps are a little big for my taste and the suspension isn't quite up to it anyway.It's fun if you go to the track once in a while to practice or build endurance but it wouldn't be my first choice if I were going to race.

MDA

May 27, 2002
I ride my KDX at a local race track and enjoy my time there. With that being said, I'm at a severe disadvantage compated to my buddy's MX bike. The gearing is the main drawback for someone at my skill level (not really good enought for the suspension setup to make that much difference). On a track you need that "rip the arms out of your sockets" kind of acceleration to get up to speed coming out of corners and stuff. The KDX is just not that kind of bike (my bike is stock, so I don't know what a new pipe or reeds would feel like). But, on the trails, I find I have the upper hand with respect to hill climbing, water crossings, tight woods, and wide open fire roads. My buddy's YZ250F is no match for my KDX on open trails, but he smokes me on the track.

-Mark-

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
You can ride your KDX on a MX track, just don't expect to be competitive. I have ridden MX on my modified KDX200..it (or I) simply can't compete. With that said there is no reason why you couldn't go out just to have fun and gain experience. The KDX would be fine for that. The KDX is much easier to ride than a 125 in any conditions, it just doesn't have the acceleration or suspension of an MX bike.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
since higher speed is a factor, do you guys think a 200 over a 220 would be best on the mx track?

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
I ride my KDX 200 on the track as much if not more than in the woods. Understanding I am not racing just out during practice and having fun. I am about 160lbs. and this track has big jumps and doubles. I can take some table tops and get out of corners as fast as I want to. I like the KDX on the track because it is so much easier to ride than the KX. It makes an old man feel good about his ability. But that's what makes the KDX (in my opion) one of the best all round bikes ever built.

dirtryder72

Jul 24, 2002
i think it is completely wrong to mx the kdx....why?...it turns like a semi...i can never lay it over nice in turns without flopping over..it just doesnt have the right balance as a true mx bike does....the gearing is very wrong for it too...my kdx has two low end hit gears 1st and 2 nd are all bgottem end wheelspinning third is a good all round gear all the others are equally spaced and regular....my kdx does pretty good on jumps although soft suspension i can hit some nice ones...but flat turns are bad.....if you want to go around a sharp turn on a later model kdx in first or second gear you might as well fall on your ass before you even try cause its gonna happen anyway

Bazooka Joe

Registered
Apr 4, 2002
While a KDX is certainly not a "best" choice for moto, it can sorta get the job done. When I had the 220, I moto'd it 5-6 times in the VetC class. I could trophy IF the class was loaded with squids, but simply could NOT stay in the hunt if the faster guys were there and would get my butt stomped.

crashburn36

Mar 25, 2002
I ride on the track quite often. I enjoy it very much. Not thinking te KDX should be mx'd is your own opinion. The local track has plenty of doubles and table tops to jump. I weigh 180 lbs, have KDX 200 with stock suspension, and sometimes the landings hurt a little. But when u learn how to jump and land well every time the KDX can be very fun on a track. Your skill level determines how well you can perform on the kdx compared to mx bikes. No your not going to be a pro but you can compete at the lower levels if you try hard enough. And yes you can kick up dirt around berms and you can jump pretty high on a kdx. I was jumping just as far and as high as the class A riders. Although I couldn't keep up you can compete at your own level.

Last edited:

KDX'r in IN

~SPONSOR~
May 26, 2001
It's all about having fun. A tricked out kdx still isn't a mx bike but if you have fun go for it. If you are like me the bike has more to give than I do.

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
I must agree with the two replies (KDX'r in IN & crashburn36). The KDX is not a MX'r, but with the right setup it can be very fun on the track. I ride regularly with a couple of guys that ride the CR 125 and YZ 400F. I must admit, although we are all about the same in ability I can't always keep up with them. But I can and did just yesterday go wide into the burm and my CR 125 freind went inside. Thinking I was had, I gave the KDX a kick and came out of the corner hard and took him right back. It makes for a very fun ride when you can on occasion keep up with those MX bikes. And to boot, I was jumping just a far as the CR.
He'll be sorry when I get the new 03 KX 125 (still keeping my KDX).

The KDX can do much more than I will do with it.
It's a fun bike

redsput

Feb 13, 2005
I ride my 02' 220 on a track more than trails. Not my preference, but it's closer and more accessible than the trails. I have alot of fun, but definitely need to do some suspension and performance upgrades. I've ridden friends cr's, kx's and sx's. Now THOSE are track bikes - I scare my self on those. Tempting, but I'm still not quite ready to part with the kdx's incredible/dependable trail performance for an mx bike.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
You can have a ton of fun with a KDX on a motocross track, but it is not a motocrosser, even with lots of mods. I used to race my 96 KDX 200 a lot, and did decent, usually between 10th and 20th with a full 40 rider gate. The big drawback is that you have to run in the 250 class. The track I usually race is huge, big straights, big hills, and deep sand. It's rather disapointing when I am absolutly pinned going up a large sand hill and a 4 stroker motors past me like I am standing still. My bike now is heavily modded, ported, worked head, pipe/silencer, bored carb, reeds, and I still get whipped on the start/straights (unless its muddy :) ). A bike that spits out around 35 hp can't really run with 45-50 hp beasts in the open. The suspension leaves a lot to be desired as well, heavy fork springs are a great help, but "real" MX bikes make my KDX feel like 1971 Eldorodo trying to run the Baja 1000, big, slow handling, and way too soft. What works good on the trails doesn't mean crap on a track.

So if you are doing it for fun, go for it. If you are racing with a competitive attitude, get a new bike!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…