KDX fork servicing and improvements

kymike

Nov 16, 2003
Can anyone direct me to a source of information on how to service the forks on a 2003 KDX 220? I want to change the oil and springs. I have experience with WP forks on KTM bikes but have no experience with KDX Forks. Also, has anybody put the gold valves in and are there any aftermarket products to add rebound capability to the forks.

Thanks

kymike

Nov 16, 2003
It is my understanding that the KDX forks do not have rebound adjustment screws. They only have compression adjustment. Please correct me if this is not the case.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
There is a company that offers an adjustable rebound system for the KDX & it's around $125. Gold Valves or other tuneable base valves are a must if the KDX isn't your first bike and you know better. The stock valves are pretty much on-off and have way too much high speed compression damping - resulting in feeling every little rock & root. It'll beat your arms to a pulp. The GVs entirely eliminated this nastiness on my bike. I put them in the rear also as it was too stiff for my liking.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Check matt dishers page: HERE!

Considering 'service' to mean oil change, his input on fork spring change will get you to the same place.

If 'service' means replacing bushings and seals, add a 14mm hex driver to take the valve out (impact tool or cartridge holder likely needed to take the base valve out) and 'thar 'ya go.

I DO think the oil level measurement technique using a syringe and a piece of hose is a much better method than measuring the oil you take out. IF you use that method (measuring) you are leaving a lot of oil out of the equation that's still sitting in the forks.

Taking the forks apart is the only way you're going to get all the oil out.

110mm level is a good place to start. The more oil, the more firm the forks will be.

Last edited:

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
On my bike there is no rebound adjustment, so I just put in fork oil with the right weight to give me the rebound that I want. Ballpark for my bike is 10wt for the woods and 15wt for MX.
Canyon, do you have any suggestion on how I can get my super-stuck fork apart? I have tried everything but an impact driver but I am not sure how to get it to drive a 15mm allen wrench. The only thought I have is to cut the wrench and weld it to the impact drivers screw bit.

kymike

Nov 16, 2003
You may be able to purchase an allen wrench with a socket made on it. I got a set from Sears with smaller sizes. I don't know if they sell the larger ones but I am sure someone does. Check the local auto parts stores.

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Jaguar,

A person in an earlier similar thread posted McMaster Carr as a source for large hex sockets, www.mcmaster.com Hand Tools -> Sockets and Wrenches -> Hex Bit Sockets, p 2608. They do not have a single 15mm listed but they do have it in a in a 1/2" drive set, 5571a45. If you can't find one locally, you may want to send them an email.

Are you sure you need a 15mm since the rest of us are using 14mm?

Best,
Greg

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
they are regular forks and the allen wrench size is a 14mm, not a 15mm.
THANKS for the mcmaster web site. I am ordering the manual 1/2" drive impact driver #5610A33 $21.60 and the 1/2" to 14mm socket #7149A56 $4.74
I should have them within 2 weeks.
thanks guys
we're a long ways apart but I still feel part of the family

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…