KDX Forks

fruitfarmer7

May 6, 2008
This topic has been covered, but I'm looking for some owner mods that have been successful. The biggest complaint I have with my 04 KDX220 is the harshness of the forks at slower speeds, when things pick up speedwise they aren't too bad, but a lot of jolts come through the handlebars at lower speeds. I have added some fatboy springs already, but these conventional forks are somewhat unconventional compared to the ones I've worked on before, 70-80s Yamaha style forks.

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Try some gold valves. From what I have read over the past 6 years they are supposed to be the best improvement for stock suspension. Otherwise, do a fork swap for a set of cartridge forks if you really want all around ride-a-bility. Just my 0.02.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
There are a few threads on here about taking a few shims out of the base valve to try to lighten up the damping. Search for them, as they are helpful.

Beyond that, making sure all the seals and bushings are working properly and fresh is something to consider. Also, make sure you have fresh oil.

DougBe

Mar 26, 2008
"do a fork swap for a set of cartridge forks if you really want all around ride-a-bility."

These are cartridge forks already.

You asked for owner mods. I have gone with Gold Valves on other bikes,(they ARE good, but pricey) but wanted to keep the investment down on my KDX.

So, that said, after riding mine for a year (and not being happy with forks/suspension) I have:

FORKS: installed a WER damper(big help), removed 3 of the 10 valve shims in the base valve, bought new springs to suit my weight from FRP, set preload to 4mm, (down from 10mm) set 5wt fork oil @105mm and clickers 3 from all the way out.

SHOCK: new 5wt oil and race sag @ 97mm. Still dialing in clickers but rebound and compression both at 12 clicks out.

This has made the KDX pretty ridable and I'm satisfied with it. Reasonably plush ride at low/high speeds on single track w/ rocks and roots. Didn't sink a bunch of money in it either. Damper was used, springs were $75 or so, and I did all the rest myself.

Hope this helps! :cool:

Doug

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…