Making a KDX suspension better

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I've read countless posts regarding the KDX suspension so I'm sort of in the process of developing a KDX Project bike that anyone can do if you feel comfortable spending the money. I'm not a very gifted mechanic or engineer so my process is to use a brown box and UPS! I know Sage slapped a pair of KX USD forks on his 220 and we're all waiting for his impressions. Sage has the talent to do that stuff and I don't. I am taking the MX tech route.

Heres what I have coming.
Last summer I sent the forks and shock to them for stiffer springs and a revalve of the forks and shock. This year I sent them back in for an oil change service and discovered that there is other things that can be done to improve them further.
1. I'm having the shock body hard anodized to improve oil life and slightly improve stroke smoothness and shock life.
2. I am adding rebound adjustment to the front forks which includes new caps with the air screw and clickers on them so I can now dial the forks in even more depending on the day.
3. I've added a midvalve to the front forks, and that is waaay over my head to explain what they do but it will make the forks have better traction in the corners for one thing.
4. I've decided to get the next stiffer size spring for the forks to be able to be more agressive in rough stuff yet still have plushness in the slower going thanks to the addition of the midvalves.

I've posted this as a more or less FYI for anyone that wants to take their suspension to the limit and were not aware of all these things.
Midvalves are $130
Rebound is $200
Revalve both ends is around $500

When I get a chance to ride it I will let you know. I've been told by Jer that this will make your suspension competative with current offerings on other bikes.

Some of you may think I'm crazy and you are right!

Last edited:

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Crazy, I don't think so. I too am building a KTM eater. Most of my club (Vol Riders) buddies ride KTM's. However, I grew up riding Yamaha's for MX and Kawasaki's for trails. When it comes to the trails, I am true green through and through. Unfortunately, the KDX comes stock with Barbie suspension components. The engine and carb are both okay, but the suspension needs some help. Yes, the Euro bikes do come stock with quality components but one must be loyal to ones colors! Orange, is just not my bag... So, after I payed 3500 OTD for my 01 KDX 200 I figured I still had another two grand to spend for hop-ups to spend the same as my orange counter parts payed.

Yes, I realize that rider talent superceeds most of the 'works' components for the average weekend warrior and I have had Jeff Ward lap me at Budds Creek on a Big Wheel KX 80 while I was on a 250. But hey, building a semi-works KDX and spanking a little KTM buttox is what I call having fun... Of course, except when that 15 year old blows by me in an orange streak!!

Fred T, I too am a garage mechanic with average at best skills and Sears Craftman style tools (nothing fancy). Therefore, I simply look to the pro's to help me build my KTM eater. Here are my plans, they look alot like yours. I look forward to comparing notes after we are both done. Here are my plans for work to be completed by the spring.

FMF Rev & PCII, FMF Torq, Torq Ring
MX-Tech Suspension Mods- the works, all that you mentioned
Summers Fork Brace, Neo fork covers (replaces boots)
WER steering damper
Eric Gorr More Better Porting
RB Designs Carb mods
FRP Bark Busters, Rear fender, Chain Guide, 1 piece handlebar mount,alum kickstarter
Renthal Alum Bars
Ty Davis ODO plug and air filter end
Boyseen Ignition cover
Complete Works Connection Armor
Renthal sprockets, DID O Ring
One Industries Graphics
IMS Pro Series Wide Pegs

Did I leave out anything? All of these mods I picked up from this forum and Dave's KDX site... Sure does make things easier. Next, I learn how to jet this beast!!!

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
ive got my 02 kdx 220 on the stand right now.so far ive put a fmf gnarly pipe,w/silencer(not at all happy with the way the fmf silencer fit,made a few modifications,now its ok)ims pro pegs.stiffer fork springs,i used xr400 eichbach springs approx 50mm spacer as compared to 100 mm spacer,and a race tech rear spring.removed the air box cover.as per jeff fredette i installed 45 pilot and 155 main,tag cr high bars, acerbis hand guards.goin with a pirelli mt44 front tire(love that tire need one for the 500af too)ill use the stock rear till it wears out.cr clutch lever assembly and heavy duty clutch springs.removed the kick stand and filled holes w/silicone.tall,firm seat foam.should be good to go.talked with fredette last night,considering wer stabilizer.ill let you know how it goes.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
Sometimes I wonder if it is best to make an MX/ SX bike more of a woods bike.
I am trying to get my 98 KDX up to par. Suspension, Carb, WER, Front Tire, Exhaust.

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Heck, half of the fun is building and tuning in my opinion. Heck, I can't ride worth a lick so I need to have something to talk about...:scream:

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Originally posted by agitt73
BUY A KTM THEY COME WITH A BETTER SUS.
AND MORE POWER THATS WHY IM SELLING MY BIKE
Ah, but they're the wrong shade of green :p At least with the green, when you cover it in mud, you can't see the colour, but with the orange, it still doesn't get hidden hehehe

Personally, I still like the KDX, it's a friendly bike and at least it's getting to be less common than the katoomers. By the time I've got the bike how I want it, I still wouldn't be able to buy a ktm (if that would ever even be considered - GG200 for me thanks).

RTL, I like your statement, and that's way true for me ;)

I'll be taking my Scotts to whatever bike I do happen to buy next and the rest of the mods I've enjoyed doing & seeing what difference they make. I'm just building a bike I enjoy riding.

Asrith, I think it depends on what you're wanting out of a bike. I was wanting a bike that I wasn't afraid of, but full size and not four stroke (oh, and affordable). I had the option of a KDX or going four stroke and I made the right choice for me.
Michelle

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
i really like my kdx but spending all that money on them dose not make
them worth any more if i could afford to i would have both
keep my kdx and get the KTM;)

by the way if you have the money TUFF RACING
can fix your kdx right up

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
Michelle,
thanks for the response, I am pretty happy with my KDX, I am going to keep it, it is cheap and a lot of fun. Plus I am an not that awesoem of a rider, I think that the bike has plenty for me. Another full season and I shall see what happpens. I am getting this 98 Cr 250 for cheap, if I dont like it I will sell it.
thanks again.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
KTM eater???????

I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!!
I agree with agitt73.......pumpkins will thump the cabbage every day!!!

FredT will confirm.....I enjoy the trash talking. Especially in the middle of winter when I can not ride.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
So Mike...

you sayin' that if you were on your Katoom 300 and Shane Watts was on my Cabbage Patch bike you could smoke him 'cause you got a Katoom?

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
Only if the rider is better. It's all about what you are comfortable on.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Mike is fast but...

my money would be on Shane. :p

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
I've got money on Shane, riding a moped. Vroooooom!!!

crb

Oct 14, 2001
I can't keep up with either of you, when we left the trail head in leota all i saw was green and orange rear fenders then it was just me and the wildlife. Thanks for waiting at the next crossing. Yeah, Fred my money is on Shane too.;)

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Re: KTM eater???????

Originally posted by fatherandson
I

FredT will confirm.....I enjoy the trash talking. Especially in the middle of winter when I can not ride.

Mike, If I had legs as long as you I would be riding in the winter! But that Leota "Ice Ride" last spring has spooked me into waiting until the ground is 100 per cent dirt!

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
I watched Shane Watts win a national hare scramble at Flat River, MO in September on a KTM 200. The course was mostly tight woods and nobody ever put any pressure on him. He might have won on an 80.

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Got good news today

Jer called me and said he'll finish them up today and ship them tonight so I'll get them Friday. I plan on putting the bike together this weekend, may sneak a quick little ride in but I'll be posting pics in my picture page real soon. Stay posted. This may be close to the answer for your prayers of having current suspension on your KDX. I am juiced! It's a great birthday present from Jer!
:) :) :)

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
First test ride is 2-22-02

Taking it out to the trails tomorrow. Weather has been warmer and raining so we think the snow will be gone. I'll get a report on how the mods on the suspension have worked out after the ride. Needless to say I'm excited to get back out there since my last ride on Dec 4th. Looking forward to see how that RB carb works out too. I plan on fiddling with the clickers to get it set up.

teton

Dec 13, 2000
I for one cant leave a good thing alone, so that being I'll be watching and maybe bugging you about the soft squishie things that hold up your bike:)

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
MX-Tech Hands On Tuning!

You know, this MX-Tech fork job is the hottest topic for the KDX since the RB Carb mod IMHO. I have a few ideas Fred T.

1. How about we get Jer to come out and personally help you fine toon the bumpksticks and butt-post. I can only image the media hype this would produce for MX-Tech. Maybe we even get Dirt Rider to pulbish an article.

2. I will gladly donate to the Jer flight ticked to Dirtweek or something of the sort.

3. Maybe Sage can put something together for the KDX, maybe a tuning camp weekend thing where we all meet in the middle to compare bikes and setups!

4. How about a KDX weekend ride sponsored by one of the clubs?

5. Can anyone attend Dirtweek?:confused:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I'm baaaak!

Rode 38 miles today. Some sand pit "pit racing" and some q u ad trails and then a nice little 18 mile trail loop. Bad news was just as the rain that melted all the sonw quit the snow started up again, by the time we got there there was an inch and half of the white stuff hiding all those icy patches and slick branches. Fell 3-4 times -always on a branch that I didn't see that took out the front tire. I LOVE that motor with the RB carb-it's a tractor that revs too now -revs on my 220 and a nice fat mean midrange! I couldn't believe how I could just pull 3rd gear along in the slick trails with virtually zero wheel spin and roll everything - it was very slick out there. OK, OK...the suspension. Well first of all it keeps two wheels on the ground and the front end sticks like glue while on the foot pegs railing corners -I've NEVER been able to do that. The forks seem more consistently plush through the entire stroke. I think the midvalves keep the stroke extreamly smooth and the bike just steers so much better. I think the rebound allows the bike to be better dialed in for the steering. I tried setting front and rear clickers 1 click each softer on compression and quickly moved them back -they were much better the way Jer had them in the rougher whoops. I didn't get to move the rebound on the front from stock setting, they just worked so darn good and I'm blowing the rust off here after not riding for over 2 months and in these conditions it was hard to push it. We were able to get a few jumps in and some berm bashing in while pit racing at the sandpitt. I'll be able to tell you more in better conditions but I had fun today and the bike handles better than before because the front goes where I point it and I can stand on the pegs through the corners with the throttle on. I guess one way to look at it was that the wheels got lots of traction in some ugly conditions and I really had quite a bit of confidence riding on icey, rooty snow covered trails. I LOVE this motor now, I cannot believe guys are wanting more-it's great. The bike took off on me coming out of a nice sandy bermed corner and the front tire was up in the sky like it's never been before, kinda surprised me because the midrange hit was much harder. I almost went into the woods off the trail. :eek: Fun stuff. We took a fe spictures so when they get developed we will scan and post them.

Jetting at : 42-CEK#4-155 and I had to move the A/s out for a bit more air. The 42 won't need to be in there long when it worms up. Today it was 33 degrees and snowing. Yesterday ti was 50 and raining. That softened up the snow and ice and made the trails radeable...ah brings back memories of my youthful rides in the snow. Then the bikes were clsoer to the gorund if you screwed up!

Last edited:

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Glad to hear all the mods worked out. If you want an eye-opening experience, find one of your riding buddies with a stock 220 and do a trail loop and switch bikes every few miles. MX-Tech works wonders. (warning: you might have to fight to get your bike back!)

ps. Get yourself some studded tires and you won’t have to keep your bike the garage so much this time of year. ;)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Jetting on your RB..

Sounds like it might still be a bit off. I liked 38/152/CEK-4/#7 MUCH better than 40/155...let alone 42/155. (low-mid 40ºs, 2000-3500 el.)

btw..my riding buddy now has a ktm 200 exc AND his '00 kdx 200. He's been riding for 30 years. Was a honda factory racer at one time.

He says his kdx can chew up the ktm and spit it out..and not break a sweat.

...and his kdx has 2 1/2 years and 5000 miles on it (oem topend) and the ktm is new.

So, having nothing to do with experience of the rider..the SAME rider, owning BOTH bikes..says green over pumpkin..hands down.

Oh..and he's resprung and revalved his ktm, and it's not even CLOSE to the plush of his kdx!

If you wanna spend thousands more on an orange bike and say it's better cuz you think you HAVE to (having spent all that money)..that's fine.

I'm sure it's not the first time you've been WRONG!

Top Bottom