kdxtimmay

Dec 9, 2004
I just purchased an 02 kdx220. The bike has low hours but I always tear used bikes down to be sure of things. I found that the spacers in the front wheel were missing when I replaced the pads. I noticed that the rotor and caliper had some damage from running against each other. I called the former owner to see if he had the spacers and he claims the wheel had never been removed. I call the local shop and they say the manual shows no spacers? I have never seen a bike without them and the front wheel bearing stack is not clamped up which allows the wheel to justify over towards the rotor. Wondering what I got myself into with a kdx now. Does anyone have a decent picture of the wheel bearing/spacer stack up and or part numbers for the missing parts? Or am I just used to better designed machinery? I just sold my ktm520 thinking a light 2 stroke would be fun to have again. Any help would be great. Thanks, T

kdxtimmay

Dec 9, 2004
Thanks anyway

I could not get any parts to show as it just loops back to a main page. Surely someone out there has had the front wheel off of their kdx? All I need to know is if there are spacers or not. It does not make sense to have the sel ride up against the fork leg. I can only assume that the rube I bought the bike from took it apart and lost them. I will call a different dealership and see if they know anymore on spacers. If anyone out there has their front wheel off, please measure the diameter and length of spacers for me. Thanks a bunch, Tim

Other posts indicate the kdx front wheels are not centered between the forks? And also that there are spacers on both sides?

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
There is a standard top-hat style mild steel spacer on the left side, same on the right however it is embedded in the speedo drive housing.

kdxtimmay

Dec 9, 2004
Thanks a bunch guys. I knew there had to be a spacer/bushing. This is the last used bike for me. Third in a row that was not maintained well at all. I just got done taking it to just the frame and engine and now everything has grease and a few new parts have been ordered. Thanks again, Tim

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
Tim, please don't let the lack of maintanance of someone interfere with the fun you'll have on your slightly used new bike.It baffles me to no end why someone wouldn't do proper work to their bikes.......I have a 01 that I picked up used that I'll have the pleasure to strip to the bone after the holidays..........

yater

Nov 7, 2003
I have never bought a new bike but have been through quite a few used ones. The kdx is a great bike to buy used because once it depreciates from new, it's DIRT cheap. It's frustrating but few people will take care of a dirtbike like I do. After a good cleaning and lubing, I've gotten years of flawless service out of these things (kdx). They are rock solid bikes

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom