baileylsd

May 21, 2002
I love my kdx, but almost all my friends say i have no power ban.
I have a 96' kdx 200 stock except for the air lid removal.
The bikes in good nick, so perhaps my kips valve is jammed open?
I've got a wicked bottom end but higher middle to top end it just drops off.

Do i need to do a top end to get my power ban back? :|

Thanks

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
buy a CEL or a CEK needle you'll have a band then! sudco 323-728-5407. you'll also need some pilot & main jet also.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Check compression, you may need to rebuild the top end.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Sounds like you DO have a power ban (ie: banish...curse). ;)

You can pretty easily check your KIPS. Remove the slotted LH cover and the pipe. Manually activate the KIPS using the nut under the LH cover while looking into the cylinder. See that everything works as it should, when it should. Good description of that in front of your service manual.

Even a stock jetted, stock piped 200 has a noticeable 'band' of rpm that works better than what's underneath it.

Clean your air filter lately? Put it back in with oil dripping out of it?

Does 'good nick' mean it's good from a maintenance perspective?

Oh, sudco also @: 800-998-3529

Last edited:

baileylsd

May 21, 2002
Ok so it's 'Band' not ban :)
Compression's fine, and i clean my airfilter almost every ride. Then re-oil with bel-ray's. I'll check my KIPS later this week, gonna have to find my service manual..... :)

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
I agree with what KDX chode said. If someone is used to an MX bike, then hop on yours and wind it out, they'll tell you something is wrong. If they took it through the woods, that'd be another story...

I can't detect any 'power band' in my KDX, and I like it like that, smooth, linear power. If you ride a KDX 225, the 'power band' is a whole different story :aj:

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Do you mean it has no noticable "hit" in the powerband? KDX's are known for they're smooth "hitless" powerband. Your bike is in the "powerband," every time you take it past idle.

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
I would think if the kips was jammed open it would have good top and no bottom :think: Check compression like FredT said, get the cel needle like 70marlin said, & always do everything canyncarvr says. I would recommend the cel needle, FMF k-30 pipe, and proper (not stock) jets. That's what mine has and it definately has a power band! :thumb:

knobbytracks

Oct 29, 2001
Sorry to butt in here, but are any of you using the CEL needle above 5000 ft? If so, what size are your other jets and what position is the clip in? I'm just curious. I'm running 45/148 #2 stock needle and slide in my 200 and it seems to run great.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
More assumptions. Seems I make 'em a lot.

From 'almost all my friends say i have no power ban' I assumed there was a point of relevance; that the observation would be made from one kdx to another.

IF it's a matter of kx500 vs: kdx200, that's just silly. Or comparing some 125 mx rocket to the kdx could lead to the same nonsensities (I just made that word up;) ).

The kdx doesn't rev anything like a track bike, either. Is that where the 'drop off' idea comes from?

Apples and oranges are fine...but making pies from both of them, then comparing the product isn't reasonable.

An odd aside. There is a group of US kdx'ers...and the '96 in that group doesn't run as well as the others.

Is this something common in the '96 for some reason?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom