KDXKamal

Aug 15, 2005
I am new to the world of KDXs and have been very happy with my 1986 KDX200 I recently purchased for the mere sum of $450 US.

A couple questions: I am trying to figure out what kind of pipe I have. I thought the bike was stock, but it turns out to have a 240cc kit. I pulled the top end to replace a bad base gasket, and the piston was stamped 72.00 I am wanting to change out my exhaust, but realize that my pipe may already be a performance pipe. It appears to have an aftermarket silencer. There are three letters stamped in the bracket, either ZZZ or NNN, depends on which way you look at it. Any info on this pipe? Any experiences with DG Pipes?

And also any carb recommendations for the 240cc kit. I have come to realize how light and agile this bike is on my grad student budget, and want to, NEED TO maximize my power. I am already impressed by the way the little motor pulls below the powerband, but still think that 240cc's could pull more.

I have heard that a 36mm carb is a good option. Any experience with this era KDX with the 240cc cylinder?

As for riding style, I am advanced, 180lbs, and like tight technical trails, but still feel the bike is lacking in mid-up power given its bore size. You know, for when the trails give way to more open areas.

Thanks for any help!!

QLD_KDX

Aug 18, 2005
Mate,
I had an '88 model (which is virtually the same as your '86) and I put a 240 kit in it. I'm sorry to say, I never did get the jetting just right. I ended up with a main jet one size larger than the stock jet, and the stock pilot. I think you would do better to get a bigger carby for it - the 33mm carb those ones came with probably didn't let enough air through them for the 240 kit.
I reckon if you can get a bigger carb for cheap enough, go for it - trying to jet that stocker will be a exercise in frustration!

As for the pipe, I believe DG did make a performance pipe for it, but FMF never did.

Good luck with the bike - they were a great model.

Cheers,
Andrew

Top Bottom