Just Blaze

Aug 16, 2002
Does anyone ride on motocross style tracks with their KDX? how high can i jump my 1990 KDX 200 without causing frame/suspention damage. I know the KDX is not the first choice for motocross riding but i got mine for a really good price so i have to make with what i have. What would be the differences in the KDX and KX models, beside the ovious, lights etc.

KiDX

Sponsoring Member
Mar 30, 2001
One major difference is the suspension. I wouldn't do any major jumping before setting up the suspension to your weight and riding style.

JSTUCKI

Jul 8, 2002
First off, there is 70's style motocross tracks and then there is what we have today which is outdoor supercross called motocross. I love my 2002 KDX220 but would never consider racing it on todays tracks. Well OK, I'd consider it but would never do it! Keep your KDX on the trails and enjoy the ride.

Kaw_Boy_5

Apr 18, 2001
Thats crazy. Ride your KDX anywhere you like. I have spent lots of time on MX tracks on my KDX. The best was when I lived in Illinois and I showed up at a private track with my KDX. I got the normal stares and one guy even asked when he saw me look at the 100 ft double, "think a KDX is capable of that?" It was fun handing him back his jaw as he watched me come out of the corner click through to fifth and clear it easy. The best part was that he had never jumped it yet. I even got to where I could flash the lights over jumps. Maybe not the coolest trick but it makes me laugh. The moral of the story is the KDX is not the best MX bike but is definatley capable of handling any MX track for a beginner to novice level.

KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
Go for it. The KDX suspension isn't on par with the KX but it shouldn't stop you from racing it. You can jump the KDX preatty high. I raced my 99 arenacross here in PA and it can take anything you dish out. It requires more work racing the heavier KDX than a MX bike but its probably 10% bike. You will get some looks at the starting gates, but just turn you light on and have fun. I had many people snicker at me my first race, even the starter at Steel City during the pro weekend, however I walked away with a trophy. I got a holeshot one race on the KDX.

JSTUCKI

Jul 8, 2002
Don't listen to these guys! If you want to race motocross buy a modern bike and the best gear available. Work overtime or a second job, whatever, but use the proper equipment for the sport. Come up short on the 100 foot double mentioned above and you will pay a very large price for you and your KDX. Am I trying to scare you? Yes! A KDX is a woods bike, ride it there and enjoy life.

KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
"so i have to make with what i have"

Race what you have and don't let anyone tell you that you're not allowed to race because you dont have the latest and best gear. Does your shirt have to match your pants also? Thats whats wrong with racing, some people think you have the have the "best gear" and "new bikes". Race what you brung! Its called grass roots racing.

linusb

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2002
You are the one he shouldn't listen to JSTUCK. I don't think any amateur rides a modern MX bike to its limit. It's not the bike that makes the rider. I don't think jumping 100 foot doubles is a good on a KDX either, but suggesting you need the latest greatest bike to race is crappy advice. I hope to race some next year and more than likely it will be on my non-MX Husky. I'm not planning on challenging McGrath or Carmichael. I just want to have fun and I don't need a 03 CRF450 to do that.

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
I just took my 1996 KDX thru a makeover (don't like the Purple). Rear fender to MX style, No headlight, New plastic, graphics and seat cover, numbers and all. Looks just like a KX. All I do is ride MX (mostly). I can't keep up with the 250's (but it's not easy getting by me either) and I don't have guts to jump 100ft. But I do jump and ride hard. It is what I have and it works great. Enjoy your bike and be smart and safe!

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
One more thing. MX one day schools teach you alot(for beginners). And if you ride right it takes some pressure off the bike.

KDXTrreme

Oct 31, 2001
I don't think you could compete on any serious level on a KDX in motocross but I see plenty of them on the gate in the 250 B & C classes at my local track. There's 1 guy who races 1 in the 250 A class.. So, YES, you can race one, you just have to be that much better a rider to compete against a full-blown MX machine. I ride mine at the track a good bit.. I've never raced MX, I race the GNCC series. Riding the track helps me work on jumping and cornering plus.. I'm getting better and big air kicks A$$, unless you crash. I would, however, recommend doing the basic mods (pipe,silencer,reeds,jetting,airboxlid,set suspension) before you get serious about MX. Don't let anybody tell you you can't ride it on a MX track, go ahead.
As for how much air before you bottom the suspension or cause damage.. That depends on how you land.. let me give you an example.. Yesterday my buddy blew out the oil seals in the forks on his YZ125 at our local track, he was coming up a little short on some of the tabletops and landing flat, he wasn't smooth over the jumps, he would land with his front tire off the ground and it would slam down alot... I however, did not blow my seals and was jumping farther, I'd say the largest jump I did was maybe a 45 ft. step-down and a 40 ft. table-top, I was totally clearing it, landing smoothly.. SO, it depende on how you land.. Trying to clear a 60 ft tabletop and coming up short at 45 feet every time..BAD Clearing a 45 ft. tabletop and landing smoothly, NO PROB.

Just Blaze

Aug 16, 2002
Thanks alot guys, i have recentlly got into motocross and off road riding. Before i bought my KDX, i used to ride my 72 honda 350 four cylinder through the woods and off very minor jumps behind my house, slipping and sliding everywhere, but it really tought me how to keep the bike up and balence, but most importantally, it got me hooked on riding. I picked up the honda at a local junkyard for 50 bux just so i could learn to ride, repair and beat on it. I'm so glad i finally found a "real" off road bike and i cant wait till next season to go to the Englishtown motocross track. :thumb:

linusb

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2002
If you got to the point where you could handle a street bike okay in the dirt, you might be the MAN on a real dirt bike. :yeehaw:

JSTUCKI

Jul 8, 2002
Hey, don't get me wrong. I started racing motocross in the mid seventies on a junk Honda XL100 that I would have to jump off of going up the big hills and push the thing up! So I know about starting out with whatever you can afford. I also know about serious racing since I ran pro against guys like Hannah, Trippes, Chuck Sun, etc. Can any of you jump pro's say you've ever gated a pro national? Anyway, never in all my years of racing did I ever hear of anyone being paralyzed racing real motocross and let me tell you the tracks where brutal to say the least. Now fast forward to today, our local 'motocross' track is really an insane supercross track built outdoors. Our last race of the season is a benefit race for a young boy who was paralyzed and will be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life due to landing short on a double! And may I say it's nothing to hear about someone being paralyzed racing moto-supercross these days. To advise someone to take any KDX much less an old beater on a todays motocross tracks is irresponsible. Now, if you can find a true motocross track (no doubles or tripples and nice long ramps for the jumps) then by all means line up your old KDX and have a blast! If your track is a moto-supercross then save your money and get the proper equipment for the type of racing you are doing. It does not have to be brand new but it must be in excellent condition. Do buy the best body protection money can buy and start off easy.

KDX'r in IN

~SPONSOR~
May 26, 2001
how's this for an answer....It's all about having fun.... Some of my buddies ride woods others ride on the track, the kdx is more at home in the woods but has a harder time on the track. Just learn the limits.

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
I just sold my 2001 200 to my friend. It has a Race tech mod suspension, (springs, valving) for a plusher ride, pipe/silencer, reeds.
He zipps up the clickers and runs the plus 30 class. There are few guys out there that beat him! He regularly hammers a few fast guys on CRF's and Yami 250's.
Moral of story. He fast on it, doesn't care what he leaps over, ride within your limits and have fun!
Joe

mprest4

Nov 14, 2001
sure you can ride it mx, but you can't ride it as fast as you could a mx 250. it won't accelerate, turn or stop as fast. all of my riding buddies have 250's and i hop on their bikes and easily beat the lap times i turn on my 95kdx200. oh yeah - their bikes are 96 and older stock 250 kawis.

KDX MAN

Nov 23, 1999
1. Just wear the best protective gear you can afford
2. Ride within, or somewhere near, your comfort level.
3. Be smart and have fun.

Three steps to achieve many years of safe riding, no matter what you ride or where you ride.

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
The way I see it is that you are riding a better bike than what was available in the 80's and those guys still raced MX and SX with "wimpy" 43mm forks and terrible ergos. If you want to try MX on your KDX go for it! If you do well the feeling of accomplishment is even better.

I remember when I visited my buddy Anchorage where they have a real MX track. We went out play racing and I was keeping up with him on his YZ 250 and looking for places to pass. I thought that was really good considering I had an XR 200 at the time and it made me cringe at every landing since the suspension would bottom out with a vengence that send the shock up through my feet and into my entire body.

My newer KDX is a much nicer bilke than the old ones, especally the XR.

Last edited by a moderator:

B12Teuton

Nov 8, 2002
I have a 2002 KDX200. I ride it in the woods and on the track. As long as you change your suspension settings accordingly, you will be fine. The guy I ride with has a 99 KTM 300EXC and he uses it for both as well.

Razorback

Jul 12, 2002
I have taken my modified 220 to the Elsinore MX park several times.There are three tracks that I can ride on, Vet track,race track,Pro track.After 2 laps on the pro track I knew I had no business out there with the KDX.The suspension couldn't handle the deep whoops or the landings from the big jumps.The impact would send everything to my body especially my ankles and wrists.The race track wasn't bad.There aren't any triple jumps or huge whoops but there is a big step up that will kill you if you clear the top and land on the other side.Also it has a fairly long double at the end of the lap that you can single and be safe or go for the double and hope you land it correctly or the impact can be pretty brutle.The vet track has big bank turns and several table tops and a few whoops.The track is kind of tight and is great for the KDX.I can easily run with the MX bikes on that track because there's not enough room to really use the power that they have.The only other problem with the KDX on the MX tracks is the gearbox.The six speed means a lot more shifting which gets annoying after a while.It's fun to ride the Vet and the race track but stay away from the big stuff on the pro tracks.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom