fury1

Sep 15, 2002
I just got an 89 200,bike goes ok,suspension is very weak,the triple clamp seems way too far back,why would it be so far back?bike has not much on top,13/47 combo has non stock silencer,stock pipe,will kx susp. fit front or rear without too much work?will a pipe give me more top end?should the gearing be messed around with?bike feels like a 125 when pushed hard,does not like being jumped at all!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Sounds like it's clapped out. Do a compression check, may need to rebuild the top end, re-plate cyl, main bearings, etc. Suspension - it's an '89!!! Chances are the forks are shot and the shock is too. Both may need rebuilds. Hope you are mechanically inclined or this thing may cost you a ton of money to get into shape.

fury1

Sep 15, 2002
the motor has been done over,Im probably being too hard on it,I race mx on a 'dale four stroke,so probably trying to ride it like an mx bike,susp. is way played out,rear shock is now leaking,swingarm or shock bearing are loose,has been jetted,no lid,different silencer(kx?)ride tight woods on off days and thought this wood be a great bike to ride instead of beating up on my race bike

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
I think you described a 89 KDX pretty good! It is a WOODS bike! Has more low than high but with the right pipe you can even things out a bit. The suspension has a lot to be desired but there again with the right springs, oil and adjustment you will get close to what you want. Just keep in mind.... This is not a MX race bike meant to take 40' jumps. :)

fury1

Sep 15, 2002
i agree,I think I was a little harsh describing it. I never stalled it ever,compared to a dozen or so times on the dale,would pick the front end up in second,third if I gave it a little pull,thinking susp. rebuild and/or revavle,probably never done before,want a pipe as well,any tips on pipes,gearing for woods,13/47 right now,feels a little too low as you can turn around at an idle in a circle very slow without any chance of stalling,never even touched top gear.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The more you talk about it, the better it sounds.

Common choices for gearing is to go lower, not higher. 12/47 or 13/50 are common choices. Your comment of 'never touched top gear' gives a bit of insight into what your riding conditions are. I've heard 'woods/single track' riding described along with the complaint 'It doesn't pull on top in 5/6th'. Never have understood that.

One thing obvious...the shock needs attention ASAP. If it's leaking, it's nanoseconds away from being toast. Shocks should be serviced at least once a year. Bet those that ARE serviced annually are in the minority.

A 'KX' suspension will fit...so will a WP ktm. Either with more than a bit of refit.

Given that it IS a woods bike..the oem suspension can be made to work just fine with a respring/revalve.

Shock bearing? Loose? The way to keep these from GETTING that way is to clean/grease it several times a year. It's a crap bearing in a hi-load application. Count on it being bad.

...and if the swingarm hasn't been serviced at LEAST once a year, you may be spending some quality time with a lot of penetrating oil, heat, hammers and finally a hacksaw blade.

Still...your last post sounds like it's doing pretty well......considering I'm sure it cost about as much as your 'dale'! ;)

Have fun with it!

fury1

Sep 15, 2002
ok just went out and bought gold series gnarly pipe,it seems they only sell one type for an 89,what a difference in weight alone,also the silencer needed repacking,it says answer on it,might be a sticker,it has been modified to fit the kdx,looks like a short mx type with a turn down on the end,no spark arrestor though,going riding sunday,will give you a good report on how the pipe makes the bike respond,I think I should look into a good s/a,any suggestions?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom