KDX replacement - 4 those whov riden an EXC

cadjocky

Apr 4, 2003
Interesting question Jim ... My 04 200EXC is a beast, but once you're used to it, it's no big deal. I was afraid of it at first, but now I love the immediate throttle response and the great boingers. The added power and lighter weight are just icing on the cake. My KDX is still fun to ride, but only when my son takes the EXC do I ride the KDX.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Jim Crenca said:
Fred,
Any comments on how the KTM compares as a trail or play bike?
There have been posts that make it sound like a beast if you just want to go for a fun ride without racing.

Jim
If you have a year or more of saddle time on a KDX then a 250 EXCwill not be a beast. It's probably not a good first bike but once you are used to riding in the woods a bit and have the basics down it's a really nice trail bike too. This is most especially true for a 2004 or newer 250 EXC with the new sweet motor and great handling. The 200's have a hit to them but thats not quite as noticable on the 250. I've ridden a 200 before and they are great and can go fast but they keep you busy.

What makes a KDX nice is for a person that can only afford around 4 grand and likes to ride the woods and is not lusting for more motor or suspension. It's a well mannered bike thats fun to ride and can be ridden all day. The seats are really soft on them. I think it gets out of hand when you start sticking a bunch of money in a KDX then you are wasting your time. A few hundred bucks for a set of handle bars, maybe a pipe and front fork springs and call it good. Then it's a great bike and still a bargian. If you get to the point that your KDX is not making you happy after a few hundred bucks it's probably time to look at something else rather than sinking more and more money in to it. It's still based on a 1995 platform and has changed very little since then, especially now in 2005 compared to what else you can buy for 6 grand.

I hope this information is helpful and not taken as bashing. I know folks take great pride in their bikes and can be offended by comments that are not completley flattering at times.

It boils down to this in my opinion. If you are a trail rider and when you ride a stock KDX it makes you happy for more than a season then that's the bike for you. If after a season you feel you are in need of more speed, power and better handling - be careful to not invest too much in the KDX. It won't really return the investment like a more updated motorcycle will. Another way to tell is if you are WFO on your KDX all the time -then you are ready for something else.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Thanks for the honest response you guys. I, like many, took a 20+ year break from riding and bought a used KDX to see if the attraction was still there. I also have enjoyed tinkering with the bike as well as all the usual improvements, all the while knowing the return on investment was low in dollars but high in satisfaction from improved performance and sense of accomplishment (as well as learning a great deal).

At this point, I'm either going to leave it alone (other than maintenance) and ride the wheels of fit, or change rides, probably to a 2-stroke KTM. In my case, this will depend more on getting past the waiting lists for riding clubs as legal places to ride are either small or 2 hours away.

Even with MX Tech suspension bills, R&B mods, bolt on trick parts, etc., it is still money well spent for me, and considering it was a low $, well maintained, used bike, I hate to sell it; now, how do I sell that to the wife.....

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well I can say most of the same things as everyone else . . . plus the fact that I am not a super skilled or aggressive rider, yet I still feel like the KTM200EXC was a most wonderful purchase. Aside from tires and a FMF silencer, she's bone stock and I love it. I certainly don't get it up on the pipe very often in the woods, only if I'm desert or MX riding. I have mostly grown out of the putting stage though. I think it's extremely luggable--far easier to ride than my friend Emilie's YZ250 two stroke. Yes I realize the bulk of that is gearing, but still. My KTM will chug down quite happily. I have learned jetting slowly but until the weather changed this fall, she was running beautifully, and now that I put a larger pilot in it, she feels good again. I don't think it's difficult to jet at all. Other than that, I will repeat the others--extremely light, maneuverable, powerful, responsive, easy to work on (some parts a little more expensive though), and certainly tough to have survived almost 4 years of me riding it.

mz1500

Dec 1, 2004
All depends

on where you ride and how you ride. A skilled rider on a piped and geared KDX is hard to beat, just ask Fredette. A skilled rider on a EXC is equally hard to beat. A skilled rider on head to head??? Who knows. I've had and riden both, my preference is a KDX hopped up any day of the week. It's more reliable, arguably as tractable and handles just as well. I always felt my exc was somehow faster with the same gearing, I think it was more the way it 'hit' than anything else. I always liked the slimness of the exc over the wide feel of the shrouds on the kdx, but I can live with that! I ride my buddies exc250, it's better down low, but not by much, it's faster on top. The KTM is expensive to buy, maintain, and fix. Parts are way more difficult, and they almost always have 'untimely' demise comparativly to the KDX

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
Jim- I felt your pain. Living in Maryland as a dirtbike rider sucks. I lived there most of my life....One of the reasons for getting out of biking for a while was because of no places to ride(and a ktm I couldn't keep jetted to save my life)I'm sorry to say,......but I do not think that finding places to ride will get any better in MD's future..Good luck though

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
For what it is worth, heres my 2 cents. Before I got my 05 KDX 220 I had a used 2000 300/exc. I bought it used just to see if I wanted to get back into the sport after a long break. Just keep in mind that my opinions are based on a used KTM. The KTM had lots of power, handled very well and the suspension was very soft and plush. The only place I found that I lost power and had to downshift was going up step hills. Also I found that if you take a spill, you had a good chance of getting air into the hydra clutch which is a bitch to bleed and was more of a pain in the ass than good. Now After getting all the mods put onto the KDX I never have to downshift and I think it is faster than the KTM because of the 6th gear that the KTM doesn't have. I thought I made a big mistake when I first got the KDX but after I put the mods (some come standard on the KTM) on it I couldn't be happier with my choice. I was looking at the KTM's when I went to purchase a new bike but went with the KDX because of its track record.

ELF

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
css_elfers said:
Now After getting all the mods put onto the KDX I never have to downshift and I think it is faster than the KTM because of the 6th gear that the KTM doesn't have. I thought I made a big mistake when I first got the KDX but after I put the mods (some come standard on the KTM) on it I couldn't be happier with my choice. I was looking at the KTM's when I went to purchase a new bike but went with the KDX because of its track record.ELF

I seriously doubt that a KDX will have more power than a 300 unless that 300 was clapped put. The 2004/2005 model year has come a looooong way since that 2000 you had

mz1500 said:
The KTM is expensive to buy, maintain, and fix. Parts are way more difficult, and they almost always have 'untimely' demise comparativly to the KDX

I beg to differ, they are very well built, easy to work on and very reliable if properly maintained. Parts are very easy to find if you have a good dealer or if not then they are easy to get online.

My 2004 250 EXC finished every race I entered this season, finished every trail ride I went on and i never had any failure on the trail. IN fact my 2003 finished every race except the one where I got a flat tire. Both bikes had a ton of hours on them and were ridden hard and held up well.

I think I am beginning to remember why I stopped posting in this forum...............but I did find another thread where I might have helped with some KDX mods and jetting that are very inexpensive and work.

They make bikes in green, blue, yellow and orange so every one can find something that suites them. Enjoy!

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
I think I am beginning to remember why I stopped posting in this forum...

Fred, you've been awesome and have contributed a major amount to this forum. Anyone who has done any searches knows that! Thanks and keep on posting!!

Jeff

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
farmerj said:
Fred, you've been awesome and have contributed a major amount to this forum. Anyone who has done any searches knows that! Thanks and keep on posting!!

Jeff

Thanks!

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Fred,
Too good for us now, huh?
I suppose there are only highly inteligent, non-confrontational posts in the land of orange.
Are you implying that KDX riders are too stupid for your posts.....
Come to think of it, I had to take 6 months off from DRN for similar reasons.
I for one have appreciated and learned quite a bit from guys like you, CC, Fishead, Acutemp, Canadian Dave, etc.
Thanks for the advice; it's always been good & accurate.
Jim

mz1500

Dec 1, 2004
"The 2004/2005 model year has come a looooong way since that 2000 you had"

I agree, they have come a long way, and they had a long way to come! Seriously, they're great bikes, I meant no flame........Properly maintained everything lasts, my only point was if your wallet and inclination to maintain wasn't there, the KDX is a better choice for reliability, and can be every bit as competitive. I understand the newer Katooms are more reliable than ever. ( I also agree that a KTM 300(even an old one) should spank a mod'd out KDX in most power categories) I'm sure it was clapped out, and half clogged up!!)

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I had a '02 KDX 220, stock except for stiffer springs and a revalve up front. I now have an '04 200 EXC, basically stock. They are very different bikes. Whether you'll be happy making the switch, and whether or not it's worth the extra $$$, depends on how you ride, where you ride, and what you're looking to get out of switching to an EXC. From your posts, sounds like "luggability" is important to you.

- I wouldn't call the 200exc a tractor. It's more like a young Mustang. It likes to be ridden hard and fast. If plucking though tight technical trails is your pleasure, not a whole lot beats the low-speed handling characteristics of the KDX. If this is the case, IMO, it is not worth switching. When I first rode the 200exc, I hated it because I couldn't turn it in the tight twisty stuff. Problem was, I was trying to turn it like the KDX. Took about 10 hours of riding before adapting to the KTM, and now I love it.

- If you are looking to ride faster and better, I believe that the EXC will help you do this. If really pushing the KDX, you feel the fork and frame flex. The chassis limits how fast you can go, and still feel safe. The EXC shines at speed; it is stable and precise. Especially with the light weight and flickability of the 200, it feels like a mountain bike at times. If you are content with your pace on the trail with the KDX, then stick with it.

As far as pouring money into the KDX, learn from Fred T. There is a point of dimishing returns that hits pretty quickly after suspension. Dial-in the suspension, cut the airbox, tune the jetting, and maybe get a steering damper. If you want to go faster than that, get a bike like an EXC.

Damn, I want to ride!

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Jim Crenca said:
Fred,
Too good for us now, huh?
I suppose there are only highly inteligent, non-confrontational posts in the land of orange.
Are you implying that KDX riders are too stupid for your posts.....

Jim

No. sorry for that impression Jim,. I guess I just got frustrated trying to make some points.....I'd hate to be taken that way. I apologise.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Smit-Dog said:
As far as pouring money into the KDX, learn from Fred T. There is a point of dimishing returns that hits pretty quickly after suspension. Dial-in the suspension, cut the airbox, tune the jetting, and maybe get a steering damper. If you want to go faster than that, get a bike like an EXC.

I feel compelled to comment on that....
I am one of those guys that poured way too much money into a KDX, trying to make it something it is not. Aside from the regular mods, I had engine work done by EG (225) and suspension work done by MX Tech, and before that, I had suspension work done by another local shop. While ultimately relatively good results were achieved, it was money down the drain, as I basically ended up giving that stuff away upon re-sale.
Don't make the mistake I made of trying to turn a KDX into an EXC, its not going to happen. All points made by Fred T and SmitDog are right on, I wish I would have talked to them 3 years ago....
No, I am not bashing the KDX, it is very high on my "bike meter".

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Fred,
Please know that I was just kidding.

Man you guys get serious about defending a brand.
I'm just so thanful that it's not lay down shocks and horrid handling like when I first got into bikes.

Anybody that is passionate about a subject will get frustrated especially when there is no immediate response or vocal inflection present.

In the words of Mick Jagger at Altamont "who's fighting and what for; you'r rendering that scaffolding unsafe". :cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom