KDX silencer questions

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
KDX silencer questions (w/pic)

Sorry for the noob questions but I haven't found (searched) anything to answer them.

I have a '90 KDX200. The pic below is off the stock silencer disassembled. I read in several threads saying that a stock silencer wasn't repackable. Is that just on a different year than mine?

Anyways, #2 appears to be a packing material of some sort and it is fully saturated black. Is this the packing I would replace with new material? Thanks.

Last edited:

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
The 1995+ spark arrestors are not rebuildable. Yours is! You are correct in thinking that part #2 is the replaceable part. It is even on the Kawasaki parts diagrams. A homemade repacking job will be OK, too.

Get a wire brush after the steel parts!

Good luck with it and thanks for the picture!

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
Thank you for the info!

As for the pic, I apoligize it isn't of higher quality but you are welcome to it.

longshore58

Dec 31, 2008
``

For what it's worth..(maybe nothing) I have heard that a lot of people will apply Oven Cleaner on those spooged components for a good "loosening" of the goo and then soak them in Kerosene to help further loosen up the goo.

I did it on a used FMF Gold series pipe with good results.

fusion

Jan 25, 2009

Ya "Easy Off" is really good stuff.

I use my solvent tank to clean mine.

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
I cleaned it up last night. Honestly, it was easy. Messy as hell but easy. There was only a little bit of carbon buildup to remove and the rest literally just wiped off.

I was going to get packing material today for it but my car just threw it's serpentine belt so I guess I get to fix that instead. Yeah. :bang:

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
It threw more than the belt. After getting in to it I found it had broken the automatic belt tensioner. Oh well, back to the bike this weekend.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…