KDX stem too loose in KX triple clamp

vmf214

Oct 4, 2005
I'm trying to go to KX forks - I have a complete set of 1998 KX 250 USD forks to go on my 1997 KDX220. The shop just called and said the KDX stem is too loose in the KX lower triple clamp. Did I get a bad year combo or what, I thought it was a straight switch. Any HELP out there????

strider80

Feb 3, 2003
The lower KX triple clamp or stem needs to be knurled for you. Search on here and you should be able to find some info. Someone else will chime in for sure. I did not have to on my 2000 w/ 2001 KX125 clamps.

OZKX250

Aug 26, 2005
My 02KX bottom clamp hole was too small. They ended up turning down my original steel KDX stem to a press fit. Just tell them to straight knurl the inside of the stem hole, press and loctite it in. Voila...

vmf214

Oct 4, 2005
Thanks OZKX250,

But I have the opposite problem the hole in my KX bottom clamp is too big and the KDX stem is loose when they try to press it in. I have not got the parts back from the shop yet to eyeball this whole problem yet. Triples and stems come back Monday all in pieces, plus my recharged rear shock.

vmf214

Oct 4, 2005
Better than that I took it to two machine shops. Both said the gap between the stem and the bottom clamp is too small to shim (.0015) and since the stem is steel and the clamp is aluminum it can't be welded. They can't turn down the KX stem because that would wipe out the top bearing threads and knurling the bottom of the KDX stem will weaken it too much.

Three choices at this time -

1. cut the KDX stem in half just above the lower bearing seat and cut the original KX stem to match and connect the two thru the hollow center with all thread or bore the two to match and put solid stock in.

2. bore set screw hole thru the back of the bottom clamp and into the stem. Tap it to take a 5/16 set screw then coat the entire KDX stem press area in RED 271 Loctite, assemble and tighten the set screw into the stem.

3. start on that auction site all over again and try to find another KX250 front end assembly that will have a bottom clamp hole .0015 smaller. I currently have the forks with good seals, new oil, straight rim and matched brake with a good rotor. Plus this is a 250 front so that gives me the rubber handlebar mount stems.

Thinking.....
:bang:

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
You could always buy a 2000 or 2001 KX triple clamp from that auction site for $20 or so and then sell your triple clamp. My KDX stem was a tight fit for the 2003 KX triple clamp.

chrischaos

Aug 2, 2004
You will need to send Tom the lower part of the triple tree, the KDX stem, and your lower bearing. His number is 623.566.5302. He'll make it fit.

bradf

Jan 26, 2004
This is a very common concern and VERY easy to fix:

LOCTITE 609 Retaining Compound General-Purpose,
A low viscosity retaining compound that bonds rigid metal assemblies. Ideal for gap distances up to 0.005" diameter. Fixtures in 10 minutes and provides a shear strength of 3,000 psi after 24 hours. Easily joins dissimilar metals. Withstands temperatures to 300°F

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
I bought a stem from FRP, so I could keep the KDX TT intact. When the stem I bought from Jeff was put into the lower TT(99-01KX) the stem was a hair too small. I had the stem pressed out of my 05KDX220 TT & it FIT. I have no idea why one would fit & the other would not.

Top Bottom