kdx stiffer fork springs

motofox2006

Aug 17, 2006
Hey guys just wondering if anyone can tell me what stiffer fork springs I can stick in my kdx (xr springs). That will be cheaper than kdx springs. Ive priced kdx springs at $180 New Zealand dollars ($90 US) this is a bit pricey for me.

My bike is a 1991 KDX200

And I weigh 146Lbs

Thanx Guys

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
In the USA, some used 1995 and newer KDX200/220 OEM fork springs is a cheap upgrade for the 1989 - 1992 KDX200 forks. .35 rate is usually not too great for anyone, but a lot better than .30!!

motofox2006

Aug 17, 2006
Ive asked for Springs from kawasaki dealer he said they would cost me $180 New Zealand dollars ($90 US) which int cheap is this what you are talking about or are the ones youre talking about cheaper
Thanks

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
I don't know what they would cost in New Zealand. Used 1995 and newer KDX springs usually go for pretty cheap on e Bay. I am not sure what kind of forks is on your AUS or International, etc. model KDX.

crhines

Aug 27, 2006
Preload vs heavier fork springs

I have a 99' KDX 220 with stock fork springs. I'm about 190 and they are a bit soft. In order to make the springs stiffer, why couldn't I just add more preload versus buying heavier fork springs? It seems like the result would be the same, except with more preload the front forks springs would have less travel. The stock preload spacer is 3.5 inches in length, and I'm considering replacing it with a 4.5 inch piece of PVC pipe.

Thoughts?

thanks

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
ive just done a xr fork spring upgrade for my 99' 220. worked great. but if you are after some original springs as an upgrade for your bike get in touch with me.

motofox2006

Aug 17, 2006
Adding more preload will stiffen the springs i would replace the spacer with a 4.7 inch PVC spacer which will make a noticible difference. This is the cheapest option.
Dont add anymore than 4.7 as you may end up with coil bind.

If you want better fork performance and want to spend a small amout of money then you should try xr400 springs these are cheaper than buying stiffer fork springs specifically for your model And this is probably a better option than adding more preload. If you want more information on this option I can give you address to get to a forum that will give you information about this.

However if you want major increase in front fork performance you may want to consider swapping to a kx front end. This is the most expensive option.

I recommend getting xr400 springs. However if you want a free upgrade with noticable increase in fork performance go with 4.7inch preload spacer this virtually costs you nothing.

motofox2006

Aug 17, 2006
I did this mod to my older kdx and i put a 1.3 inch spacer on top of the 110mm that was already in their it worked for me and i only weigh 146Lbs

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…