KDX Still Bogging

Pwgsx

Oct 10, 2004
:bang: I got a 1991 KDX 200. After the engine warms up and I ride it for about 5 min. and it starts to bog down. The engine has been rebuilt about a year ago and it ran great for 6 months. Thats when the bogging started. I have replaced the packing in the siliencer, changed plugs, cleaned carbs, cleaned filter, checked reeds. With the problem not fixed I replaced the STATOR which seemed to correct the problem for 2 hrs. of riding. Just this week I got a used CDI box which I thought would correct it. It didn't !!!!!!! :bang: ANY IDEAS???
Me and the guys at the shop are out of thigs to look for and I am at the point of pushing it off a cliff.

KDXMAC

Sep 13, 2004
MMMMMmmmmmm

Sounds silly but sounds like what happens if choke is stuck on. Pull the choke to make sure it's not stuck (internally). Other than that a airleak perhaps? This probably isn't helping much....................good luck :)

MAC

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
may need another top end if you road a lot, happened to me on my bike

Pwgsx

Oct 10, 2004
Well I havnet rode it alot b/c of the problem. The choke is fne and the boot holding the carb is actually a new one and is sealed good. Fuel is getting to the carbs, b/c it runs great for 5 Minutes. Its almost liek when it gets warm, something is sticking or overheating and not making enough to make a good spark. Thats why we thought the CDI went bad. IT will start bogging at mid to upper throttle in any gear.
Maybe the ignition coil????

cyber104

Jan 16, 2005
...it can run good for about 5 minutes on what is in the float bowl. Or, if the filter is blocked, it may be gradually starving.

How about putting a clear filter in line from the tank to the carb and observing it when the bike starts to bog?

I would DEFINITELY stop throwing expensive ignition parts at it! I really don't think that is your problem. It's more than likely a fuel delivery problem......

Hope this helps!
Chris

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Sure sounds like fuel delivery. Can you just swap tanks with somebody for a check? Could the float valve be really bad? Little water in tank (from condensation?) and takes about that long to accumulate enough water in bottom of carb to block main jet and thus cut off fuel? I have had this last ghost a couple of times in seldom used KDXs. Keep after it--too much fun to push over a cliff! John

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
make sure you have fresh gas in there and also check to see if your float levels are in specs. That could also cause it to happen.

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
frustrating, isn't it? check the fuel flow by removing the lower clamp at the carb and turning on the petcock---draining it into a funnel to your gas can. if there's a steady stream, doubt that's the problem. if you were starving for fuel, the bike would start reving out of control. curious what brand of stator you bought---electrex/moose??---they have been discontinued for reliability issues. breaking up at mid and high rpm is a symptom of that. i went through 3 in less than a year. check the coil resistance---remove tank, unplug coil wires at the connector(one's white/red stripe and the other black)and connect multimeter. 300-450 ohms is the service limit. when mine failed, they all tested around 200. if that's the problem, ask electrex for a refund(nice guys, but doubtful)----then order one from Ricky Stator...i did and it rocks!! good luck. :cool:

Pwgsx

Oct 10, 2004
I pulled the carb and cleaned it really good. I didnt see any problems there. I got a new seal for the carb( the seal looked very flat and old) and ran the problem past a service guy. He said to check the bowl setting and fuel delivery. I'll be checking that this weekend hopefully. What is the proper bowl setting and how do you adjust it???
The stator was Moose brand but that didnt seem to correct the problem and thinking about it, if something was stuck in the fuel line/filter, that might cause it to work for a little and then loose power ect ect. Thanks for the ideas !!!! I'll keep you posted :cool:

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Check those ohms on the stator and tells us about it. I am having the same issue with some electrex units and a local shop rewinding. I hope ricky stator is the answer and not that some other part of my bike is killing all these stators.

Pwgsx

Oct 10, 2004
Im in contact with Ricky S. and he seems to also believe that it was the stator and heard many stories with the Moose and Electrix brand. He can hook you up for $38 or so. I reciently replaced my CDI and ignition coil so hopfully nothing else will cause problems for me :boss:

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
Been down that road myself. Ricky Stator rocks. Never ran right with the electrex coils. Get the Ricky and tell us if you don't agree. :yeehaw:

Pwgsx

Oct 10, 2004
I ordered the stator. Ricky said he heard lots of troube with that Moose one so i'll let you know what happens. Now to figure how to remove the flywheel !!

colhom

Nov 28, 2004
Check the operation of the KIPS, something could be sticking or binding due to the heat expansions

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
My quad used to die after a few miles. Give it a rest for a few minutes, start it back up and go for a few more miles then it would start conking out again. The problem: Breather on the gas cap was clogged. It was building up a vacuum. Let it sit a few minutes and the vacuum would go away, only to build back up in a few miles. I was amazed!!! Something simple to check out!!!

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I got my new stator from Ricky too and the long standing problem was fixed.
Bottom line is go with Ricky and stop the frustration.

Pwgsx

Oct 10, 2004
I just got mine in today. I'll be putting everything back together and will yet yall know........ :cool:

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
Look at the bright side! At least you have a working spare CDI and coil. Uhhh--how much you want for 'em?? ;)

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
Pwgsx--Just joking with you. For what it's worth, Ron Ayers has the ignition coil for $51(junkyard $20)and I got a '94 CDI on you know where for $29.99 inc. shipping! Good deal there.
Seriously though, what are your thoughts on the Ricky Stator part? Have you got a good ride in yet? Has it lasted over 2 hours? I think the power is at least as good as the OEM and feel that the reliability will be outstanding. They wet wind their coils which all but eliminates movement of the wires which eventually chafes off the insulation and starts the downhill procees the other coils are so famous for. Also they provide a nice long wire to solder to instead of that little "tag" the other one uses. That helps keep the heat from soldering away from the delicate wiring---the other coils were easily damaged if you left the iron on them a bit too long.

Pwgsx

Oct 10, 2004
Yea I know. Well I have not had the chance to ride like I want too but so far the bike seems strong and has stopped the oil splatter from the exhaust. I'm going out next week ( spring break) and hope to be riding in Oklahoma. I'll let yall know. :)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…