Vinod

Sep 13, 2000
I own a 1990 production of KDX and recently I have been having serious problems with the top block and the top-cap. The studs on the top-cap have been loosing threads with the block hence I got it re-threaded using RECOIL inserts. However my fear is that my block may soon be deemed un-usable once it wears down terribly.

Is it still possible to purchase a new KDX block & a top-cap, tho these bike are no longer in production? Could any one give me suggestions as to the possiblity of purchasing a new KD block?

:(

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
If I understand your post correctly, you are talking about the cylinder. If that is the case, it is much cheaper to have it repaired than to replace it, but if it cannot be repaired, then yes, you can buy a new cylinder, although it will be quite expensive, probably $400-500 US.

Vinod

Sep 13, 2000
KDX Cylinder(correction) :)

Thanks spanky250 for your input. Yes, you understood my post correctly. I need to get some means of contact information as where I can order a 1990 production KDX200G3 cylinder from. I will probably be buying one soon as I intend to use my KDX for another 10 more yrs (hopefully). I live in Singapore and use this bike for road transport purposes but however the dealer for Kawasaki here is not really effective in these areas. They deal mainly in newer bikes. Hence I need to source for a cylinder from the US. (hopefully)

I have over-hauled my KDX completely, gave it a new spray-job on the entire bike frame and the plastics, changed all wheel bearings,changed swing-arm bearings, new exhaust & muffler, Keihin 35mm Carb, Boyesan intake & reeds, bigger air-box, K&N Air filter, steel braided brake cables, pro-taper handle bar and reconditioned wire-harness. (incd many more changes i cant recall)

You see, I have gone to the extent to modified the KIPS valve system becoz the inherent design always leads to valve breakage. Hence, I closed up the right-valve unit and am running on a single valve and the bike still gives very good torque :)

Is is because of this thorough modification I have made (with a great deal of help from a bike expert friend) that I find it hard to part with the bike if I need to let it go just because of the cylinder :(

I would appreciate if anyone out there can direct me as how to purchase a new KDX200G3 cylinder.

Thank you. :)

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
The dealer may be your only source for a cylinder for a bike this old. The only thing that i could think of would be to contact Jeff Freddett at kdx's only, maybe he can help you.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Kawasaki used the same cylinder on KDXs bound from North America from 1989 to 1994, which should make your chances for finding a cylinder good. I'd expect the same it true for bikes sold there. Kawasaki still stocks them.

If the bore of the cylinder is worn you have a couple choices. You could have a sleeve installed ( L.A. Sleeve would be a likely source) or have your cylinder replated. If you can't find someone locally to do the work then your best bet it likely to replace the cylinder with a new one.

If you need part numbers etc check out www.buykawasaki.com. There is a parts list there you can use to cross reference etc.

David

Top Bottom