KDX with KX forks?

mattmcphail

Nov 18, 2004
I'm considering buying an '00 KDX 200 that looks like a great deal. It has several mods, one being KX upside down forks. How excited about this should I be? I know KDX's don't exactly have top of the line suspension, I just want to know how the KX forks are going to react on the trails. Also I'm about 230, am I going to be sacraficing much with the 200 vs. the 220?
Thanks for your input,
Matt

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Sounds like it was made for you! You may have to tweak them a bit but it should be a good setup for your weight. You may go with a little heavier rear spring though. Stock is good to the 200 to 210 # range.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You might want to check that out real well.

Some KX conversions included things like a bad fit between the kdx stem and the kx bottom clamp.

..not the place you want things to come apart.

Get as much info on it as you can..what model of kx did it come from? What spacers were used to make it fit? Knurling was required? Press fit OK?

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
canyncarvr is right. Look it over real good. Every thing from the triple clamp stem fit to the stem bearings, and the steering stop. I have done this conversion on 1996 KDX and it is an awesome conversion with great benefits if it is done right.

I'm a believer in the condition of the whole bike. If the rest of the bike is well taken care of and other aspects of the bike look to have been done with care and good maintence, then most likely the conversion was done with the same care.

as for the set up of the KDX with KX forks. It's a great mod., but just like any suspension you will have to dial it in to your weight, riding level, and conditions.

good luck

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
I also completed the conversion and simply love it. It provides great set-up options for those of us who visit the local motocross track and race harescrambles. It takes a little bit of time and practice playing with the clickers but you will get used to it.

Good Luck.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Mid:

Is it just an optical delusion...or is your bike going uphill just sitting there? ;)

bentbars

Nov 9, 2004
where are you guys getting the forks for these front end swaps? i haven't had any luck locating them.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
They run high dollar on that auction site...One guy had an entire front end all pieced out... I bid on all the parts... very highly too, or so I thought. I won the wheel! :) So... I have a 2001 KX250 wheel with no front end to go with it. If I would have won the entire front end... it would have cost me about $800!!!! I was hoping at the most... $400. Oh well... I will try to find one locally.

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
canyncarvr,

it all the pictures looked that way, even with traditional forks. not sure why?

bentbars,

my forks were from a 2001 KX125 from that auction site. bought the entire front end as a package deal for $450. Then Then Jeff F. bought my old front end for $250. It took about 2 months of constent watching to find a good front end. I got mine from a guy trying to sell the whole bike with a dead motor. after it din't sell, I convinved him to part it out and sell me the front end.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…