Manray

Nov 13, 2000
Here's the problem. I have an 86 KDX (the motor is fresh, recently done over by Fredette) In gear she runs great and always has. In neutral if I twist the gas it runs up and then bogs. Like if I just finished a real slow section and want to clear the motor out I'll wick it up but it won't rev into the upper range. Reeds??

Manray

Nov 13, 2000
No it doesn't clean itself out it bogs. If I'm in gear and underway (underload) the engine will rev up and run cleanly (a little sputtering) but with the clutch in it starts to rev then bogs.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
It sounds like it is running rich to me. With the engine under a load, it can burn the extra fuel, but with the clutch pulled in, there isn't enough load to burn the fuel, so the engine won't rev or run cleanly.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
The key here is the engine runs better under load than free yet is "sputtering under load" which indicates a rich condition as Spanky has stated. Engines require a richer mixture under load say 12.5: 1 as opposed to 14:1 for an engine under slight load. Lean conditions cause a surge or flat bog.

weak or cracked reeds can duplicate a bunch of problems that initially can sound like jetting. I would check both.

Top Bottom