bajus22

Dec 8, 2008
I have a good running 1982 KDX175. I really like this bike and it's alot of fun. But it looks like the rear shock is on it's last legs. Instead of trying to rebuild it, I was wondering if I could upgrage to a more modern monoshock. If I found one with the same eye-to-eye distance (I think it's 15 1/2"), could I just swap it out. Thanks.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
you could do that but along with "eye to eye" I would also get a shock that has the same width and diameter holes at both ends to gut down on the fab time

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
A modern shock will have different valving and won't perform the same for the lever ratio on your bike.

Works Performance can build you a new shock made just to the specs of your bike, your weight and the type of riding you do. It just costs money. My 86 KDX is in very good shape, so when the stock shock poops out on it, I'm going to have them make a shock for my bike.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Some people know how to drill out the old shock to replace the oil. Some of those that were not rebuildable or open-able can be changed some. It may be worth reading up on.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom