kdx200 clutch

EYY

May 22, 2010
Hi guys, I purchased a clutch basket last week and recieved it today. When I compared it to the old basket, it seems as though the original had 8 fibre plates, and the replacement only accommodates 7. I was just wondering if this is just a variation of the basket types of the h series kdx, or whether it's from a different bike. The spacing between the gears all seem the same, as well as the height and width so i feel it won't be a problem but i'd rather be safe than sorry. By the way, it's a '93 model.

thanks, any input would be appreciated.
Craig.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
h series is different, your 93 is an E model. If that H series basket fits, and works, that will be quite impressive and helpful. make sure the back edge of the basket is not rubbing on the main gear.

EYY

May 22, 2010
I don't feel as though the clearance between the basket and the main gear will at all be a problem. As there is more clearance towards the back of the basket, where the 8th plate would have been. This surprises me, as the listing (ebay) was shown as a basket from a 91 model? The 2 baskets appear to share the same plates though too.

Thanks for you quick and helpful reply.
Craig.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Sure, I'd say if it fits and works, you'll have no problem. As far as I knew all the E series baskets were the same. Would be interesting to know exactly what it is you have there, since baskets for these things are darn near impossible to find.

EYY

May 22, 2010
Yeah they do seem to be quite scarce. I'd been looking for months for a basket before i found this one. The kdx's appear to be quite hard on their baskets. The one that the bike came with had grooves of 2mm towards the upper section of each finger. I'll post back soon and let you know if it works or not.

I'm rebuilding this bike from the ground up. New bearings and seals all round $500 alone! the motor has cost me about $800 which included sleeving, powervalves, piston, clutch and clutch kit, along with crank cases and having a new rod kit installed. The guy i bought it off lied straight to my face and i paid far too much for it (1000). I'll take some pics and might post them some time in the next few weeks.

Thanks for your help once again.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
ugh, sorry for the misfortune on the purchase. I think the bike will be worth it for you when you're done though. I gave $450 for mine a couple years ago. Spent about 1,000 doing engine rebuild and maintenance items. I'm lucky to have a friend with a shop who gets me parts and machine work done at his cost, so I came out for about 600 in the motor after rebuilding bottom end and having cylinder re-plated and bored to match a Wiseco piston.

FYI, pay close attention to that stupid set screw that holds the carrier for the main PV rod into the cylinder. If that carrier gets cocked sideways, the main rod jams and your valves get toasted again. I made a plate to screw on there instead of the single set screw. So far after that my 3rd set of power valves are holding up fine, lol.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…