KDX200 Expansion chamber to silencer junction.

Ryan_KDX_

Sep 12, 2002
What is the best way to seal this juction up? The little stock band isnt doing anything anymore, and my bike is just puking oil out all over my master cylinder.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
If the pipe/silencer joint is leaking oil, a/k/a spooge, the problem doesn't lie with the connection band, the true problem is rich jetting. There shouldn't be any spooge at that joint.

Treat the problem, not the symptom.

Ryan_KDX_

Sep 12, 2002
Thats also part concern, I'm already running a 1 size smaller that stock main jet (I think a 158), and red line synthetic oil @ 50:1. What else could I do?

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
you could try wot plug chop till u get to around a 152 main or u could just sit back and watch the greatest movie of all time and just dream about your bike running right.

oh that movie is the outlaw josey wales

sparkz

Jan 7, 2004
KDx Jetting

Just a quickie, do u guys over in the US etc know that all UK KDX220's are jetted at a 42 Pilot & a 145 Main as std. Really screwed me when I was trying to get a ballpark starting point for the FMF Rev pipe & powercore 2, Boyesen reeds & a modded airbox lid tp install. After researching it & finally putting all the bits onto my bike, when I removed me carb, imagine my surprise to find the jets as above. Back to the drawing board. HoHum :laugh:

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Ryan_KDX_ said:
What else could I do?

Changing the main is fine and all; if you spend you whole ride at WOT.

Personally I spend 15 seconds of a three hour ride at WOT.

You might want to : set the main with a plug chop (literally), move the clip, and dink with the pilot, adjust the Air screw, and put some more oil in that gas, for starts.

It will likely spit oil for a few years unless you jet and clean the pipe & silencer, so don't use spooge as a tuning guide.

Sandy Whoops

Oct 11, 2003
Jetting issues aside, use 2 wire ties to cinch the gasket tightly. Wire ties are easily removed, and you don't have the cleanup issues that occur with RTV.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Silicone alone

mine had a 2 hose clamps holding the rubber sleeve on... it has since cracked and I was going to replace it when 'carvr mentioned trying the silicone

Thats all I use now

cleanup issues?

None here

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Ryan_KDX_ said:
Thats also part concern, I'm already running a 1 size smaller that stock main jet (I think a 158), and red line synthetic oil @ 50:1. What else could I do?

Don't confuse fuel/oil ratio with mixture. A 50:1 ratio is a richer mixture (more fuel) than 32:1.

You can try silicone, wire or 5000 psi cement. You are still sending unburned fuel out the exhaust port. If it doesn't leak from the intersection joint, it will pour out the silencer outlet. It will also soak your silencer packing.

Do a search on jetting and read C-daves jetting FAQ. Focus on the pilot & needle. Get these right and your jetting will be 90% correct.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I use two screw clamps on mine to stop the drops. However, I agree with other posts that the real problem is your jetting. I suspect that unless you ride at WOT all time, that your primary jet is the real problem with the spooge. You might need something like a 42 on a 200. Drop the needle to the next to top clip position if you have not already done so.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
From what I've learned here at DRN...
Even with perfect jetting (whatever that is) you will never get rid of all the spooge

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
wibby said:
Even with perfect jetting (whatever that is) you will never get rid of all the spooge

This is not directed at you Wibby, but let me share my experience with a (nearly) properly jetted KDX.

No sealant, no leak. When I repack my silencer, it's dry. And I think my bike is a little rich on the pilot/needle transition!

One spark plug will last me all season, and my bike gets ridden about 2 to 3 hours per week. A bike that is jetted correctly runs VERY clean. When I changed my rings my cylinder and piston looked like they just came out of the box (with 100 hours on them). The main bearing was slop free.

A KDX doesn't have to leak oil like the Exxon Valdez.

FLBusa

May 29, 2003
Ryan_KDX_ said:
What is the best way to seal this juction up? The little stock band isnt doing anything anymore, and my bike is just puking oil out all over my master cylinder.

Ryan,

I just went through my entire exhaust system. I had a ton of spooge coming out of that junction. My KDX had stock jetting and also 155M/45P jetting. Running 40:1 fuel.

I cleaned the junction really well (with kerosine). Making sure that there was absolutely no residual spooge and that the pipes and silicone pieces were dry. I assembled them and used a black 1/4" zip tie on each end. After quite a few rides I have no problems. No spooge and the junction is tight.

IMO... if there's any residue at all. The spooge will find it's way out regardless of whether you use silicone RTV or not.

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
depending on how much spoogosity you had, you might want to clean out your pipe. did mine two weeks ago. first pulled a wire coat hanger straight(so it's doubled over)and reamed out the entire stinger end. next filled with kerosene and let soak for a while. rinsed after draining and filled with heavy duty oven cleaner and left soaking again. after rinsing again---yeah i can get a little crazy---took the propane torch to it. laid into it 3-4 times until the pipe quit smoking like a barbeque. worked like a charm.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I put an expansion plug on the big end and filled it with MEK (only solvent I had)
Sloshed it around and let it soak overnight (GREAT fumes!) and dumped out and repeated a few times, I got a lot of black gunk out of there

I also tried the torch method as described at www.piperepair.com/carbon.htm
just remove your 0-rings first!

bleedngreen

Jan 9, 2004
A properly set up 2 stroke will make spooge, an improperly set up 2 stroke will make more spooge. I use safety wire on the soft junction; fits nicely into the little grooves on either end and looks clean too.

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
bleedngreen said:
A properly set up 2 stroke will make spooge

:think: Then it's not properly "set-up".

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom