choppadog

Jan 15, 2007
hi all. just easing myself back in to bikes after a child induced break. just found an 02 kdx200, motor was a bit noisy, but i like a challenge! anyway, thing was quite rattly, sounded like an old air cooled 2 stroke, so pulled off the top end measured bits, etc and found piston quite undersize. replaced with one in spec, and put it back together, fired up and still rattles!!!!! any good ideas on where to look? i am thinking the kips, as when i probe around the exhaust port, there seems to be a fair amount of movement associated with the main valve. anyone else had similar experience? your thoughts would be appreciated.

ascracer

Oct 21, 2006
I just rebuilt my 06 KDX 200 got it slightly used! New piston, wrist pin, T.E. bearing and a full dissassembly of the KIPS for a cleaning. The bike rattles and makes a tapping sound at idle. Runs great however. There are several posts about this question. This is my first Kawasaki anything but I guess it is just the nature of the bike. I've also heard that if it is not making a noise, then you should be worried?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Are the motor mounts tight? Use a screwdriver like a stethoscope to locat the approximate position of the noise. Backlash in the primary drive gears generates some noise when the engine is not under load.

choppadog

Jan 15, 2007
thanks for that, also found the faq section on the subject. sounds like it is nothing to worry about, but i would put money on me pulling it apart again one day just to make sure!!!

Top Bottom