KDX200 or XR250R or ?

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I had another topic awhile back about which bike I should move up to. I currently ride a 1999 XR200R that's getting really small (I'm 18, 5'11", 160lbs). I ride mostly trails, race some cross-country and harescrambles in the Okanagan, and sometimes ride in the sand. The sand thing isn't a big deal, as I might ride there ten times in a year. There's also a motocross track nearby, but my main priority is trail-riding. I found a 1994 KDX200 that's in pretty good shape (the owner says excellent, but I beg to differ, the levers, cables feel loose, haven't really looked at it too closely) for $3000 CDN. I rode the bike, lots of power (compared to my XR200R), can be lugged somewhat, fun bike to ride. The brakes seemed VERY mushy, didn't feel any better than the drums on my 200. I did find that the bike fit me pretty well, I could still throw it around a bit, but it did feel WIDE at the tank. I guess that would be something to get used to, I've never ridden a bike with radiators before. To sum it up about the KDX, it feels good, but the price seems pretty steep for a 94, hopefully I can talk him down in price. I also found a 1998 XR250R for sale, it says that it is street legal, must have some sort of dual-sport kit. The guy is asking $2200 CDN for it, which seems low, I haven't yet talked to the guy yet, hopefully tonight. I thought the XR250R would be the perfect bike for me, but that KDX also fit the bill good, it sort of like a thumper, only with better throttle response and a lot more zip. I also know that a DRN member (fatty_k) has his 98 KDX220 for sale, that's in excellent shape for $3200. I don't think I could swing over $3000, hopefully I could talk the owner of the 94 KDX200 down in price, but I'm still going to see about the XR250R, because I'm very partial to Hondas. Anyways, is there anything I should look out for in the KDX, or XR? Any suggestions? Thanks.

skagracer

Jul 16, 2004
kdx for sure I had a 93 now a 03 3000 for the 94 to much kdx is the best bike i,ve riding for me any way and i,ve had lots of bike to ride with my boys riding nothing but good maintace and you will have lot of troble free riding the 93 had 16000 on it when I sold it and it still looked great .

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
KDX, but look around you might be able to find something better(you mentioned $$ seemed to high.)

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Buying used, it is good to know something about the owner.

Kyle has been around DRN & WoodsRacer & the Smack board for quite a while. My hunch is he has taken care of the KDX fairly well. Also consider basic mods that you will likely want to do right away. Some of them may already be in place, so take that into account.

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
That KDX is priced too high. The seat/tank junction seemed wide because it IS wide. I have had one for two years. I love mine, but with the way prices are now, I would go for a 98 or newer, used KDX. If you are close to fatty_k, then you need to check out the bike. I am not trying to be rude, but it would be STUPID! to not pay $200 more for fatty_K's bike vs. that 94.

You will notice I didn't mention the XR since it is not worth mentioning.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I'm going to check out the XR, as I'm very partial to Hondas, and have had great luck with XRs. I doubt I would be able to afford Kyle's bike, because I figured it out, that about the maximum I can afford is $2500, so I may make an offer on the KDX, depending on how things go with the XR. The only mod I plan on doing is adding barkbusters. I can't afford all sorts of mods right now, and usually I do fine on stock bikes. I raced my bone stock XR200R, so I'm really not worried about mods. Oh yeah, the 94 KDX has a DG pipe on it, but I think it's otherwise stock.

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
You should wait for a 95 or newer KDX200. They go for US$1500 - US$2500 for ones in very good condition, depending on year, on **** in the USA. You can get one in decent shape for $1,300 - $1,500

Jeffro426

Mar 16, 2003
I would compare the KDX to something more like the XR 400...a KDX with a new pipe and silencer, a little suspension work and some tweaking is a VERY capable off-road machine!

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Before I got my new '03 KDX200, I test drove a used XR250 that I was seriously considering. It was in great shape but the guy wanted too much for it, and when I rode it, it just wasn't exciting at all. Kinda boring actually. I'm glad I didn't get that bike...a week later I bought the KDX, and when I got it home and took it out for a spin, THAT was exciting! That two-stroke snap is hard to beat!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'll say check out al the bikes and get the one that is in the best condition for the best price. If you ride them and end up liking one better then go fo it. Both pretty much fill the same market and both can get better performance for similar dollars spent. There is a reason they both exist with all the latest bling-bling bikes out there, they meet a need at a price point. That said I would personally choose the XR then again like everybody else I might be a bit biased. I've ridden an modified KDX200 and it was a fun bike but my modified XR is waaaaay more betta'.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Well, that XR250R is pretty much out of the question. I took a look at the bike, the guy said it was looked like it was ridden, but was in good mechanical shape. He has a different definition of good mechanical shape. Everything is either broken or worn out. The footpeg mount was poorly welded back on, I think I could do a better job of it. It has an aftermarket tank (IMS), a dualsport kit (Baja Designs) and some acerbis barkbusters, but everything is in brutal condition. A signal light is broken off on the headlight assembly, the mounts are toast on the barkbusters, and the plastic guards around the aluminum and completely broken/thrashed. The brake pads are toast, the skid plate is falling off (and mounts on the frame are broken), auto-decompression is either disconnected, or else it broke off, not sure which, the rear fender and taillight cover are toast, not sure if the bulb works either, it needs new grips, seat cover, front tire, chain and sprockets, fork boots, brake hose clamp and that's just what I could see without starting it up and taking it for a ride. I noticed a leak for an engine seal, so who knows what kind of shape the engine is in, same goes for the suspension. I think what I may do for that bike is offer him around $400-500 for it, because as is, it's not safe to ride, never mind race. As for the KDX, I loved the snap it had, and it seemed in good condition. I think I may give it another look, then offer him somewhere around $2000-2400. I also may just wait and keep looking, I'm only home for another month, then it's back to school in Edmonton and no bike.

DirtRoller

Jul 25, 2004

You got that right!!! My buddy has a XR250 (2004) that I've rode a few times.
The only thing I like about it is that it is lighter than my XR400.
Sold my XR400 to my buddy and bought a 2000 KDX 220.
Have no regrets so far other than it does not have a CA. plate on it.
As far as riding goes, it jumps better and is a lot quicker than my friends XR250.
Paid $2500 for it and the guy has one more just like it for sale.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
KDX250? :think:

Tomck

Feb 13, 2004
SpeedyManiac,

I highly recommend that you pass on the XR250 that you described (regardless of the price). There are too many clean, lightly used XRs available at reasonable prices. Why buy a bike that you will have to completely rebuild? Do yourself a favor, and keep looking for a more suitable bike.

Last edited:

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
Yeah, what he said. Do yourself a HUGE favor and keep looking.

PatMan: Are you not familiar with the KDX250 or are you saying the XR250 is better or what??

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Not real familiar with the KDX250, I think it was a short run bike? 91-94 maybe? AND yes I am saying the XR250 would be a better bike for this rider. I am very familiar with the area that he lives in and given his age a street legal XR250 would be an awesome choice for both trail riding as he says he wants to do (lots of great single track and open forest roads there) plus he'd be able to get around town with it easily. It's a spectacular area and not having to worry about premix when you are playing connect the dots between towns would be a huge bonus.

No bike is the "be all end all" solution but both the KDX & XR come pretty close to being "do it all" bikes for most riders looking to have a low maintenance fun off road ride. I've got plenty of seat time on KDX's as well as XR's to feel I'm making an honest suggestion for the best solution in this instance.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Deputy25 said:
I had an XR250, now I'm riding a KDX 250. The KDX is a LOT more fun to ride.
I had a KTM360 E/XC and now I'm riding a modified XR250. The XR is a lot more fun and usable for what I want out of riding now.

You drive a tack with a rock, a hammer or your head. They all get the job done but one works better than the others.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Thanks for your opinions guys. I think I will pass up that XR, I don't mind working on bikes, but I'm gone for around 8 months of the year, and when I'm home I'll be working all week, so I definitely won't have time to rebuild the bike. I'm still considering the KDX, but only if the guy will drop his price. I still think an XR250R would be best for me, low maintenance, easy to ride, plenty of hop-ups available, and it's a HONDA. I really like Hondas, and have had great luck with them.

Patman- I never knew you had been to my neck of the woods, did you used to live here, or just visited?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
A large portion of the population of the town of Proctor is my clan. Wouldn't mind living up there but an occasional visit has to do for now. I might have to get a Kokanee fix here sometime and I'll look ya' up.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Well, my grandparents have a place 3 km south of Balfour, so if you're ever in the area, give me a shout before hand and maybe we could go riding.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
:cool:

xTYBALTx

Mar 10, 2004
Just thought I'd weight in.

I also recently upgraded from an XR200, and couldn't decide between XR250 & KDX200/220. I couldn't decide, that is, until I rode them!

I think you'll enjoy the KDX. Maintnence is easy and sparse (just the way I like it!) and the bikes are CHEAP. I bought a '99 KDX220 with great compression and no broken parts at all for $1800US. It looked ugly, had been dropped quite a bit, but nothing was broken or loose or anything. As others have mentioned, try to get a KDX newer than '95, as they made some major changes that year.

I know it's exciting to get a new bike, but a '94 KDX in perfect condition isn't worth over $1200US in my book. Take your time, look around.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…