Dmay4

Oct 31, 2010
I have been riding a Honda 2001 XR250R mainly on trails. Lately I have been bitten by the racing bug. I participated in a practice night d and found it really isn’t keeping up with the other guys. I know my riding skill isn’t up to par yet for racing but already looking to upgrade. I found a guy looking to trade for a 2002 KTM250 2 stroke. I would still like to trail ride with it but looking for more pony’s to help me be a bit more competitive. Any one have any advise??? Also what are the differences between the MX and SX series?

Below are the answers to the Sticky Note questions. Thanks for the advice.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6 Feet 220#

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Pretty aggressive and getting more I think

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Like to trail ride but wish to start racing (the finance committee wont allow me to buy two bikes)

4) Do you have any riding experience?
Yes as a kid 30 years ago and over last year trail riding 2-3 times a week on trails and one race practice and I’m still alive haha

5) Do you think you will race ?
Yes

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Pretty good, recently rebuilt top end of 4 stroke Honda 4 wheeler runs OK but still a work in progress

7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Leaning towards a 2 stroke because I hear the rebuilds are easier but have never done one and also hear they have more power. Currently have all Honda’s but like the review the KTM’s are getting

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Yes but will probably do most shopping online

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
I have 2000.00 invested in my XR250R and found a guy who wants to trade for the KX 250

10) Do you live in California?
No

11) Your age?
43 and race with 12 year old son

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
Would like to get a bike that is good at racing yet able to do trails, my XR250R is kind of a dog on the track but awesome on the trails

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
So, what bike is it exactly? KTM250 sx, mxc, exc? You also mention a KX 250 in there.

At any rate, it would be really really nice if you could ride it one time before you make a decision. Coming off an XR, a 250 2t mx bike is going to feel like a monster! It's going to be much more of a handful in the woods. If you're serious about racing, it could be a good move on the track. You need to make sure you're comfortable with it though. If it's going to be used for both trail riding and a little bit of MX, would be better to have the exc for the wide ratio trans.

If the bike is in good shape, you'd be getting a great deal. No arguing that. I'm surprised someone wants to make that trade. Must be too much bike for them!

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
what he said, plus at 6 feet tall you shouldn´t have a trouble but the ktm 250, or the kx for that matter, is much higher than the xr. and lighter as well.

mx is more comparable with road racing but with dirt and jumps. usully is a pretty fast type of competition. sx is more jumps, actually is all about jumps, in series and is slower but more technically than mx.
a quick search for videos on youtube will make the explanation easier to understand.

Top Bottom