kdx200 to kx125 fork conversion

woodsrider823

Aug 8, 2005
i was wondering how much work it would be to but a set of 92 upside down kx125 forks on my 91 kdx200? if i get the triple clamp that acompanies the kx125 forks would everything else work? thanks

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Try using the search function and enter the term "fork swap" This topic has been covered a number of times and I'm guessing you'll find the answers your are looking for in the results. If not get back to us and we'll see what we can do from there.

David

woodsrider823

Aug 8, 2005
ok so i read everything i could but and I think it was implied that the steering stem with the kx125 triple clamps will not just simply fit into my kd frame. is this correct?

b1dude

Jul 5, 2004
True...won't work because of the steering stem differences. You'll need to press out the KDX stem, press out the KX stem, then press the KDX stem back into the KX triple...whew...

Not too bad. Be carefull of the little c-clip on the bottom of each triple and only push the stems down through the bottom clamp (to push them out). Then reverse for install.

I think it was "Skipro" or "FLBusa" who recommended getting a front end from one bike so you had all the "extras". I took the "frankenbike" approach...it worked well but took a ton :bang: of extra time/research to make sure everything went together well.

Best post :cool: going is this "clearing house" post:
http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=94808&page=1&pp=10&highlight=steering+stem

Good luck,

Gill

TD3

Dec 18, 2004
I put a 90' KX250 front end on my 89 KDX and it was a direct bolt on. :nod: Not one mod required.

The 92' KX may also be a direct bolt on to the 89-94 frame.

WLKDX

Dec 7, 2004
The triple clamps from a 91 kx will bolt right up to a 97 kdx, I put a set on mine. The steering stem was changed in 92 I think, also a 95-98 KLX will bolt right on. Check Kawasaki's website and make sure the bearing part numbers are the same. I had the 91 kx forks on for a while and then used the 95 KLX forks. In my opinion the KLX forks are just as good for the Northeast where a soft, plush ride is more important than swallowing up huge jumps.

woodsrider823

Aug 8, 2005
will a 95-05 kdx 200 steering stem fit into a 91 kdx frame? or was it changed i know 93 and 94 had USD forks but after that was it changed from what they were before the USDs? thanks

WLKDX

Dec 7, 2004
The steering head bearings are the same size, one of the bearings for the 1991 is the same number as the newer bikes, the other has a different Kaw part number but has the same bearing number. I would be willing to bet the steering heads are the same.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…