KDX220 Jetting

Bman007

Jan 25, 2004
I have a 2003 KDX220 ( new ) i have put a few hours on the bike and love it. I ordered and received a Gnarly Woods pipe and PowerCore 2 silencer. The stock specs say it's a 145 main 42 jet 1173 with 3 position clip and 1.5 turns on air screw. FMF wants to see all the same spec but a possible 148 main. I haven't worked with carbs to much....is it hard to do or complicated? Or should i send it to the local kawi dealership?

est142

Dec 30, 2003
easy. gas off. disconnect fuel line and all vent lines.loosen front and rear boot clamps. turn top of carb towards you,unscrew slide cap and gently remove slide and leave hanging on bike. wrestle carb out from boots. dump fuel out of carb. remove 4 screws and the bottom float bowl will come off. the main jet is the brass "nut" in the center of the carb...6 mm i think. the pilot is the flat head screw that is buried down inside a well, right next to the main jet. you should unscrew the pilot , and take it out and clean it while you are in there. such a small jet, there is almost always some dirt in it. don't use too much torque when re-installing the jets. mine is a 97 220 with 40 pilot,142 main and a pc rev pipe at sea level. runs really good. i also went one clip notch higher on the slide needle. have fun

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…