jcpa

Dec 8, 2002
I bought my first KDX220 last week. It is a 2001 and it looks like it just came off the showroom floor. The trip odometer reads 21.7 miles and the guy claims thats the total mileage. Tires still have that red ink stripe between the treads. I just finished reading about the piston shattering in a guys 220 and that I should replace mine with a Weisco Kit to prevent it from happening to me. I am really surprised after reading all of the great articles that the factory piston is this substandard. Hope I did'nt make a mistake, almost bought the YZF250. Does anyone have any advice or should I just quit whining and buy a piston kit from Fredette. Thanks KDX'ers

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Replace it and ride! Don't let the same thing happen to you, as did me. Although my piston was 4 seasons old (doh!) I have heard it can still happen to any piston. You didn't make a mistake about buying the KDX over the 250F. The KDX is a great bike. I would just replace the top end for peace of mind.

jcpa

Dec 8, 2002
Thanks Kyle, I've never replaced the top end on a bike before although I'm pretty good with a wrench. I've changed the head gasket on an overhead valve car engine before and then reset the timing. Is this top end job fairly simple?

svtrb

Aug 20, 2002
So far I have read about one piston shattering is there anyone else out there? And four seasons with the same piston is only asking for trouble.

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
jcpa, I'm not good with a wrench, but it's pretty easy on a two-stroke, even with powervalves. I did my 94 KDX. It's so easy, when I broke in my new 96 I took the top end apart just to see how it was doing.

Sorry I can't help you about whether you should replace, but don't fear doing it.

jcpa

Dec 8, 2002
D36,
Thanks, That sounds easy enough. It will be a good project for my nine year old boy and me out in the garage when the snow is flying here in northern ohio.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Unfortunately, you have to take half of the bike apart to just get the cylinder off. There's a left hand threaded nut slipped into the KIPS linkage just to keep you honest.

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
I wouldn't worry about it if you aren't racing your bike, or if it isn't modded to the hilt. The largest bike shop in Idaho told me that they HAVE NOT had a problem with these. And they sell a lot of them. I've several freinds that have them, again, no problems. These are, though, lightly modded, recreational bikes. Some race hare scrambles, or a little desert stuff, but nothing major. If your are losing sleep over it though, $150 is pretty cheap........

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
jcpa---this IS a bit more involved than cam cover removal--GET the factory service manual before you start. It's not difficult, but you can screw up and it gets expensive fast. See my and/or Sage's post on Weisco installation

davemorr

Jan 12, 2003
I just took apart the top end on my kdx200 and found that the piston had a huge crack in it hardly hanging on. Another 30min of riding and it would of been a mess.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Dave, what year is your 200 & when was the top-end last done? 200's aren't known for piston shattering, whereas the 220's are.
I did the top-end a few months back, after having the bike for 2 years and not having touched it. Piston was fine, except for blow-by (should've done it earlier, I know). Riding pretty much every weekend, but I don't ride it hard (unless up a hill, then she's given the death ;))
Michelle

Top Bottom