KDX220 Sucking Gas After Rebuild

crhines

Aug 27, 2006
I just had FRP do a top end, porting, and head mods to my 220. I'm running the stock carb (33mm) with 40/150 jetting. My first ride (after 30 minutes of break-in) was in tight single track terrain in the mountains and I rode fairly hard. I hit the reserve after 25 miles, and completely went dry at 32 miles. That seems crazy to suck that much gas - I have a 2.9 gallon tank!

The bike ran well in the low to mid range, and was a bit rich up high - but nothing extraordinary.

Anyone else have the same issue? Suggestions or comments?

Thanks

KDX607

Mod Ban
Nov 6, 2006
i guess that's possible, that everything is ok, but you were just rippin hard. 7 miles on reserve is way low. i get 18 miles on reserve{.8gallons} but if at the track, i get 10-12.

AZRickD

Jun 6, 2006
I average about 18 mpg on tight ST and in the upper twenties when doing long, open jeep trails (or surface streets for that matter).

Is it a break-in issue? What does your oil look like? How much coolant do you have? What's your plug look like?

Rick

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
Check float level. some times in tight hilly single track you can inadvertently lose alot of gas through the overflow. I would check this first before trying to jet for getter milage.

chicoman

Uhhh...
Nov 14, 2006
I had a similar problem, when I stopped to take a leak I noticed my bike was doing the same. It didn't do it al the time and after a carb cleaning it went away.

crhines

Aug 27, 2006
I ended up rejetting to 38/142. 40/150 was way to rich with the 33mm carb. After rejetting, my gas mileage went up to about 18 mpg.

Top Bottom