KDX220 top end question

jamin326

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2002
I own a 99 KDX220 that i bought last november and am finally starting to ride, i had previously owned a 91 KDX200, anyways i've noticed that when i pin the throttle on my 220 and it revs out it doesn't seem to like it, it's like it hits the top and almost bounces, like on a car when you rev it out it hits the rev limiter and kind of bounces a bit, it won't stay at the rev limit it kind of drops down a little then hits the rev limit again, that's what the bike seems to do when it hits the rev limit, bike has airbox cover modified, boysen reeds, rb carb mod, fmf rev pipe, and fmf silencer, i have not taken the top end apart to exmanine it yet becuase otherwise the bike runs fine, and the guy i bought it from said he had the top end done last season. i plan on taking the top end apart soon though but i dont' know if i'll find anything, so any input would be great

GREENHORNET

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2003
So it goes flat on top, what pipe do you have on it. MY bike will do it too i have FmF gnarly g runt pipe, i bought a rev pipe and it revs to the moon- it is a really scary bike now its like DR Jeckle And MR Hyde also have you replaced your pistion yet if you still have a stock one it could explode, get a Wiseco pistion and when y ou got all the top end apart clean the KIPS.

jamin326

~SPONSOR~
Oct 29, 2002
i do have the gnarly rev pipe and the guy i bought it from had the wiseco pistion put in, it's got fresh gas too, 93 octane, so i don't know, my only thought was the kips but that shouldn't effect top end i would think, could be wrong guess i'll see how dirty it is when i take the top end apart

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
The KIPS valve alters your exhaust port timing. If it doesn't fully open you lose top end. If it doesn't fully close, you lose bottom end. Too lean [or too rich] on the main jet restricts max revs. Excessive compression [ was head milled ?] also limits revs

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…