KDX250 93 rebuild pics and problem

talkoren

Oct 28, 2008
Hi Guys

Im a new owner of a childhood dream , after a dozen dirt bikes (last being a new WR250F - yukkk!) i got this beauty .
well it didnt come as a beauty but im working on it:)
Don’t have before pictures - it looked pretty nasty.
Im changing all bearings, cables, oils and whatever didn’t look strait. also sent the carb for a rebuild at the states ,new boysen reed valves as you guys recommended ,piston and stiffer springs on the front fork.
BTW im from Israel and getting parts here is an agonizing bureaucracy hell. the pictures are of the rebuild since the frame came back from paint.
sadly i have a problem, somehow i lost the carbs slider and main needle in it... does anyone have a good condition used one i can buy?
Thanks Tal

Attachments

• bike 001b.JPG
    bike 001b.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,135
Last edited:

talkoren

Oct 28, 2008
cant upload more than 100k??

ohh, i have many more rebuild pics but cant upload more than 100K

Attachments

• bike 008 [320x200].jpg
    bike 008 [320x200].jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,046
Last edited:

talkoren

Oct 28, 2008
I want to add more pic's but got limited

is there a work-around or another way to upload pictures?
thanks
tal

Last edited:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Very nice job! FWIW, if you need a new slide, you might want to get one from a late '80's KX250 with 1 mm more cutaway. I believe an '88 or '89 will work, but other years may as well.

I think the stock slide cutaway is a 5 mm, and the additional 1 mm cutaway of the KX slide will help cure the overly rich low speed and mid range jetting.

talkoren

Oct 28, 2008
thanks

well seems by EOM section in bike bandit that this slider is made only for 91-94 kdx250..

Attachments

• bike 018 [320x200].jpg
    bike 018 [320x200].jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,891

KIWI KDX

Apr 21, 2008
as above mate, the best way to get pics up is to upload them to photo bucket, then cut and paste the direct links into your forum.

take a look at my forum, "MY KDX250" mite have a few mods on there that intrest you.

talkoren

Oct 28, 2008
Question buying OEM carburator missing parts

I see there are 4 options for the Jet needle sitting in the slider :

16009: NEEDLE-JET,R1366H....16009D: NEEDLE-JET,R1370H

Im going to ride with new boysen pro reed valves, FMF gold+turbine core silencer,Uni air filter .
Riding from sea level and up to 1000ft in mainly warm weather.

Which needle do you recommend?
Thanks
Tal

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
This is for the US bikes, but you basically put that bike to the KX specs:

@50:1 oil ratio (amsoil synthetic)

Jetting: 38/158 , R1367H needle 3rd clip from top, #6 slide

Be sure to install the KX (.26" headgasket (88-91 KX, raises compression))headgasket that is thinner than the KDX.

YOu may have to modify that jetting a bit for the non-us bikes since they are a bit different.

talkoren

Oct 28, 2008
Thanks, that frame job does make the difference.
Another important change i did was reshape the banana old style seat(comfy as a harley but not that dirt related).
I took it to a local bike upholsterer .He did a nice job cutting the edge and adding extra padding ,finally covering with a grip similar to the KTM material. took 100$ :ohmy: but did a nice job
seat pic here

talkoren

Oct 28, 2008
project pretty done

well - took the beast out last saturday for a first ride.
Did all the carb jetting setup (including new slider) and the bike is strong! a bit too snappy - after a 2005 exc250 i was expecting the kdx to be more suttle in low rpm's - even more of a 'tractor' than the KTM but it is not.
first and second gear are week with the power valve closed and too strong once it openes(and thats with a 14 tooth sprocet).
now i think i need to replace the clutch pads - once its wormed up the release of first gear jumps (not gradually) .
took it apart and all parts seem to be in the lower limit range but not twisted or damaged. is the jumping issue typicall for a worn out clutch ? (it does not slip while riding..).

another thanks for dave and all the loyal KDX guys here - great forum to search for all i need.

BTW - got a link for the 250 91-94 supplementle service manul - mail me if you need it.

pics here: http://www.bikepics.com/members/talkoren/93kdx250/

Attachments

• bikepics.JPG
    bikepics.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 362
  • bikepics2.JPG
    bikepics2.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 341

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Nice looking 250!

When I ran the stock pipe and silencer, mine had much more of a hit compared to an FMF pipe and a modified Answer Silencer/Spark Arrestor from an '89 - '93 KDX200. I think your 'hit' may partly be due to your stock silencer. Since no one makes an aftermarket replacement, you have to improvise. The aftermarket KDX200 silencers are much lighter, too. You need to fabricate a connecting tube to join up that silencer to yoru pipe, though.

You might be able to smooth the hit a little by turning in the airscrew, or even going one step richer on the pilot jet.

What gear oil are you using in the transmission? You might try changing that to something different to see if it helps the clutch feel better.

Top Bottom