jaredr

May 10, 2003
I recently purchased a '94 KDX250 (Japanese version) and have been Very pleased with it (a torque monster that revs). I've been learning more about this bike on line and as a result have developed a concern that this bike may be more different than I thought from the American versions out there. Now on to my questions: Is it safe to say I can use plastic off of a '94 KX250? Can I rebuild the bottom end even though I don't know how to read Japanese (I've heard the engines are different, but how different)? Comments and links are much appreciated.

kmx125r

~SPONSOR~
May 23, 2000
Hey jaredr,

Here is a pasted reply that I sent to someone else sometime ago. I will address your specific questions in another post.

Jim

I also have a 1992 KDX250SR. While there are many similarities between the SR model and the 1991-94 model that the Stateside guys refer to... there are also some significant differences.

1. The SR model has an oil pump for the 2T oil... no need to run pre-mix unless the oil pump has been disabled.

2. The SR model uses a 33mm Keihin carb - the US version uses a 38mm - I'd love to get my hands on a KDX200 35mm carb to see what improvement it would make on my SR.

3. The SR can not use the Wiseco replacement piston kit for a US version KDX250 - it is the same diameter but the wrist pin hole is located at a different location.

4. I put in a set of Boyesen power reeds (#639) and really like the performance.

5. I replaced the stock fork springs. Just like the US version they are too soft if you weigh over 130 pounds.

6. I run an NGK B7ES plug.

7. If you've got stock gearing on it (14/45) you'll be happier with 14/48. It is not a bad compromise for dirt and street. Top speed is still 135kph.

8. The motor does not have the same KIPS set up as the US version. The SR model only has the small side valves. It does not have the large main valve.

9. It may be difficult to put an aftermarker pipe on the SR model since the stock pipe is held on with a flange and bolts, not springs.

10. I drilled my air box lid full of 1/2" holes to get better airflow into the motor.

11. The US version is heavy, but the SR model is heavier due to the streetable gear - turn signals, horn, etc...

12. The bike turns a bit better when you pull the fork tubes up out of the top clamp by 10mm.

kmx125r

~SPONSOR~
May 23, 2000
Hi again jaredr,

Do a search on this site for KDX250SR and you'll find some more info that has been posted about this bike.

Your questions...

Is it safe to say I can use plastic off of a '94 KX250? No, plastic from a 1994 KX250 will not fit. All plastic from a 1991-1994 KDX250 (US version) will fit. Typically KDX and KX plastics (of any year) do not interchange.

Can I rebuild the bottom end even though I don't know how to read Japanese (I've heard the engines are different, but how different)? I haven't compared bottom end part numbers to determine if they are interchangeable (between a US version and an SR model). The piston is definitely different - note my previous post. Power valve system is also different - although the side vavles are the same ones used in the US version.

You can use many of the parts from the local Kawasaki dealer to fix up your SR. My dealer said he could not get the SR specific parts even though I had a good Kawasaki number!

You can email me with more questions if you like... [email protected]

By the way, I have a 1992 KDX250SR here in Manila, and a 1993 KDX250 (US version) in Pennsylvania. So I have a bit of experience with both bikes. I actually took a seat from the US version to Manila for my SR... it is much more suited for American sized people! The original SR seat looked like a ski-jump... the profile was definitely for a shorter rider market!

Jim

Last edited:

craig-s

Jun 20, 2004
I've found a UK dealer that carries KDX250SR parts in stock next day delivery no less "in the uk at least" Corby Kawasaki phone number 01536 401010

Top Bottom