mx-dad

Jan 23, 2009
First Post, first off A big thanks to all who helped put together the 2nd gear mod info ......I have just done the mod to my sons KDX50 and what a difference it has made .....the bike has been completly transformed......i was going to put an 11 tooth cog on the front but now i think i will go bigger 14 or 15 , now that is has some low down grunt in first I might play around with a bigger front cog and see if we can get some top end aswell...

So now I am looking for more power mods to get this little bike to rocket.....I have heard that these 50cc engines are seriously detuned and with the right modification they will scream....

So I am thinking about taking the head and getting it shaved , Is there any gains to be made with this mod? I was thinking maybe 20 or 30thou of the chamber and run 100ron fuel might get me a bit more compression?
What about the carb , can any mods be made to the carb to see more power , I know the YZ50's from the late70's early 80's used to scream along ..,....

mx-dad

Jan 23, 2009
take the muffler off and gut it, undo the screws holding the internals of the silencer inplace and remove them alltogether , its a wonder these things even run with this huge restriction .

mx-dad

Jan 23, 2009
I took the head of the boys kdx50 last night and I'm going to put it in today to have the lip shaved off the head which should increase compression up a fair bit ,hopefully the machinist will be able to give me an exact figure.....
Over here our premium pump gas is BP 98octane or shell 100 octane so i shouldnt need to use any octane booster

mx-dad

Jan 23, 2009
well my young bloke went out for his first run on the track on sunday , he did his 5 hours accreditation to get his racing licence and he has wrecked the kdx 50 in the4 process , he has literally beaten the **** out of it lol.....bent swing arm along with 4 broken front spokes and about 10 bent spokes.....

the official testing him at the club told me to get him on a KTM pro senoir sx50 or similar ASAP.....So the little KDX for now has been retired to the back of the shed until i get around to buying the new parts for it and selling it on and in its place last night we have bought him a 2004 senior pro KTM 50.......which I have to say is an absolute animal compared to the KDX..

Infact you cannot compare it to the KDX at all, this KTM Senior Pro is a full on race bike and has huge power......

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Those things happen when you over use a little bike like that. Happens with a lot or regularity on "pit bikes" when big kids hammer the little XR/CRF50's and the like.

You should like the little KTM just fine. We ran one for a few years and it was much better at taking abuse than the PW50 that preceeded it.

Top Bottom