Kennedy Meadows (Kern Plateau) Mem. Day W/E

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Jr. & I will arrive mid-day on Saturday the 25th (of May) @ Troy Meadows Camp, site #28-32 (in the far north).

We will do a warm up loop in the afternoon up Jackass Trail & back, then perhaps another short loop up Mohogany Trail & call it a day. Early Sunday we will load up, drive to Beach Meadow; 1) Monache Mdw in the morning, return to the staging area for lunch, then 2) ride Little Horse & Beach mid-day, then load up again & head to Bonita Mdw for a a final loop there, perhaps including Sherman Peak & the vista point; return to Camp for the evening/night.

Monday morning will be an early wakeup & departure to get home by noon.

The Channel Meadow Ranger District said the trails will be open, along with the Blackrock Information center.

Greg (friend) is out, having snapped his archilles (sp?) tendon playing basketball (ouch!). Thumbs, tree, scar, eel: coming? I'll bring plenty of firewood.

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
Looks good for me and the family, so far. I plan on heading up on Friday morning and arriving early in the afternoon. I plan on getting camp set up and then finding an easy trail I can take my son on. Any suggestions?

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Tree: first off, stop @ the general store & get a free Kern Plateau OHV Route map. Then proceed up to the Troy Mdw camp to get your site; should be able to have your choice on Friday. The best one 4 U is to the extreme north, near the creek, #28-32(?) is the one long one that parallels & is adjacent to the asphalt loop near the outhouses, the one on the mount; good close place for the family to explore the creek & meadow, when your out riding with us. Please describe your rig/trailer so we can connect Sat.

If you are not comfortable (should be OK) with this spot then go back to he overflow (on the left up another 100 feet past Troy Mdws camp entrance); it's a more open area with a lot more room, tho a distance from the creek (bring bicycles).

The area is not particularly mini/beginner-friendly, & I do not know the skill of your son, but the easy trail that come to mind start by the Troy overflow south on a graded road (21S97) that turns into 34E25 (Mohogany Trail); the latter gets tough, tho, & you might want to turn around & take 34E27 (Beach Ridge Trail); it turns into an intermediate-skilled level soon too. 34E03 connects to Fish Creek Camp, & accross the main road from the latter is Jackass Trail. I've known of kids on 80s & even a PW80 doing all these; as a parent you be the judge of his limit & when to turn back.

Another kid-friendly area is the 4WD trail leading to Monache Mdw, but it requires you to drive to a staging area near Powell Mdw.; there's another like 4WD route @ Bonita Mdw which goes to the top of Sherman Peak - might be best to scope them out with us first then do those with him on Monday or next trip up there.

It's legal to ride thru the campgrounds, but not on the main paved road; crossing it at 90 deg. is allowed and manditory in many spots. Many of the trails parallel & in spots cross the pavement in this fashion. I've heard of rangers issuing tickets for riding on the road.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
...but he's in the midwest now. Sorry bud: would like to have ya & othes along. Here's what he said:

Having ridden in at least 6 states KM is by far my favorite spot to ride of all time! Awesome camping, views etc.

So who's coming? Jr. & I, Tree...we'll arrive by Sat. noon @ Troy Mdws camp, farthest to the north campstall/site by the creek. Look for a white Toyota X-tra cab, two yellow bikes.

Tree, U still in? I'll bring the Daily News classified & your resume edited + mine.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Let's see - I need a new rear tire, new air filter, Pipe is in need of dent removal and I have a leaking fork seal. I'll send the pipe out tomorrow and try to get the rest done this week after work. The fork seal might be the hang up. If I can get it all done by Thursday night I'm in other wise I'm out.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I'm a maybe ... unfortunately it's just not good timing for me.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by thumbs
Let's see - I need a new rear tire, new air filter, Pipe is in need of dent removal and I have a leaking fork seal. I'll send the pipe out tomorrow and try to get the rest done this week after work. The fork seal might be the hang up. If I can get it all done by Thursday night I'm in other wise I'm out.

Thubsy: let me know what I can do 4 U, really. I can mount the tire & install the filter of your choice; having the fork seal replaced is the questionable one, tho - it depends on who can turn it around this fast as I can't do seals. Make the arrangements/calls for the latter & I'll drop it off/pick it up.

Next question! Eel: what 'cha need?

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by TTRGuy
Dang you guys are gonna have a great group! I wish Aimee and I could be there :( Have fun and be safe.

Yep; no rub intended, but like those postcards: "wish you were here!"

Say: what happened to my subheading "Eddie Would Go"?

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
I don't think I'm going to be able to make it. I have something going on Fri. so I can't get out of here early as planned and the wife's not keen on going that far if we don't have alot of time. I may be heading out someplace closer to home, like Ocotillo. If something changes I'll let you know. Maybe I can plan on the July 4th trip but it will depend on the job market.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
OK Tree - I understand.

My wife decided to go, so we will not be camping, but staying in Ridgecrest Sat. night.

If anyone still wants to go & will be camping @ Troy, Fish Creek, or the overflow campsites, I'll come by bright & early, say 7:30-8am, then go to the trail heads for the aforementioned loops.

Any takers?

diesel59

Jan 23, 2002
I'm looking at going up sometime early on Sunday, getting a ride in
that afternoon, camping over night snd then riding on Monday again.
Anybody able to hook up with me. I would be heading up solo so I
want to make sure there is somebody I can meet up with. Let me know
ASAP.

thanks,

Diesel

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
John.

I would love to come but my wife needs to use my truck on saturday. Can't get there from here.

We are going to do a little local ride instead.

Thanks and have fun.

Ol'89r

itsdave

Feb 25, 2002
Woohoo! I went to Kennedy Meadows this memorial weekend and it was AWESOME. I have only been riding for 9 months, Gorman/Frazier, Texas Canyon, Jawbone, Dove Springs, Spangler, and somewhere near victorville.. Kennedy Meadows was absolutely beautiful.. So beautiful I was almost suprised they allow us to ride there. I can hardly wait to visit again. I wish I lived there.

Anyone who has not been there and likes woods riding.. highly recomended!! PLEASE behave and follow the rules so we can all still ride there in the future. there were a few trails closed and the ranger had to come by our camp looking for people who were riding where they were not supposed to. Doh!

Top Bottom