the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Another great 4th of July weekend at Kennedy Meadows, though there were quite a few regulars whose presence was missed. In attendance this year were Mr. Luckey (welcome back), KelsoRat, Kav, Kiwi, HoleShot, PlaceLast, 2strok4Fun, and Scar Tissue. Most came out without their significant others this year, myself included.

I arrived early on Friday morning and Mr. L and Kelso had already staked out several choice camping spots at Fish Creek. The weather was just awesome at that altitude ... it was in the low 80s in the heat of the afternoon. And it didn't get too cold at night either. Of course the scenery and fresh air are immediately noticeable when you reach KM. That's a big part of the appeal. It's kinda like going on a nature retreat - with dirtbikes. :cool:

I brought the little Husky to KM this year and it absolutely kicked a$% in the tight. :ride: A great little woods motor and the suspension was great. I had just taken the forks to ESP and they did a nice job.

I got settled in after arriving and spent some time catching up with Mr. Luckey. He seems glad to be back in So Cal and I know we're all happy to have hime back. This despite his mishap in the Piutes - hopefully he'll post a ride report on that unfortunate death march. Eddie - you definitely need to join Training Wheels and come out for our club enduros. You'll totally dig it. Plus the District 37 series is great, too. This is the heart of desert racing in the States.

After chewing the fat with Eddie, Kelso and I headed out for a ride around 11 AM. Good times. We put in 60 miles riding the trails in the northern part of KM. A few trails were closed, but we had a great time riding the single track. We stopped to check out the Osa dunes, and also rode up to Monache Meadows. At Monache, Kelso got stuck in a big flowing mud rut that provided some entertainment. It took us awhile to figure out how to get his bike unstuck. It was so stuck that we stood it up straight on its rear wheel and it just stood there. This one rut completely drenched us and our bikes in mud. Good times. We got lost a few times but eventually made our way back to camp. Kelso was FLOWIN' on the ride back on Jackass Trail and it was fun trying to keep up with him. Blackrock Mountain trail was also a good one.

When we got back to camp PlaceLast had arrived with his son, Nate, as had 2SFF. Turns out John's truck had died and they had to ride ack down to camp to get some jumper cables and go back to his truck. They got it back to camp but PL had to go to Ridgecrest to get a new battery. :(

We spent the early evening eating some awesome tri-tip that Eddie cooked up, and also listened to Kav stories and checked out his cool SDG mini.

Saturday morning I left for a ride at 8 AM with HoleShot. We put in about 40 miles. Highlights included a really technical uphill trail - I think it was Rattlesnake. There were alot of water crossings and the woods were in full bloom. Beautiful. At another point 'Shot got a rock stuck in his chain and front sprocket and was stranded for about 30 minutes before we finally got it out. Weird deal.

Top Bottom