dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
Hey all,

I'm looking at picking up another heater for my garage since they are all on clearence right now. Right now I have an 80k BTU LP convection heater. Basicallu looks like an old school kerosene heater, but runs on LP. I works ok, but doesn't move the air around at all. I set up a box fan behind and that helps a little. Basically it isn't working as well as I expected. I was just wondering what those of you that live in a cold climate like me use to heat your shops.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
I have an 85K BTU LP torpedo heater that I've used for some time and it kicks butt, you may need to put the tank in a bucket of water to keep it from freezing but the heater works really well. It wil supposedly heat 2000 sq feet so a garage is nothing. Although I'm not dealing with the really cold temps you are I've used this heater in the 20s.

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
I have a torpedo heater,it works really well BUT you have to leave a cold air source cause it burns oxygen.....I just leave my service (walk-in door)door open and fire it up....the heat will make up for the door being open(in a two car garage at least) Kerosene is cheap..

my vote
Crazy

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
This is the style I'll probably I get next, http://www.air-n-water.com/product/TC25.html

I currently have a couple Kerosene heaters and don't like how much smoke they put out. With this I'd also add one more bottle for Barbaque time ;)

dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
bsmith,

That is what I have now. For what it is rated at, I would have thought it would have put out a lot more heat. The problem with them is that they just don't move the heat around. I have mine set up with a box fan behind it, but most of the heat still goes straight up. I have heard all of these stories about torpedo heaters warming the garage in 10 min. Mine takes as long as a 25k btu kero heater, but is rated at something like 75-80k.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I used to use an LP torpedo heater exactly like Kiwi's when I lived in St. Louis. I'd turn it on and let it run for about 8 minutes (when it was really cold out), then turn it off and it'd be comfortable in my uninsulated garage for about 20 minutes.

The only real issue I has was that at times the very cold concrete floor would sweat like crazy and get slick as heck!

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I have a 55KBTU kerosene heater and it heats the garage up very nice. As for smoke you do have to service them from time to time..mine does not smoke...OK a little at ignition and shutdown.
My brotherinlaw has a 100K BTU propane and it really works well but it goes through 20 pound tanks fast.

Top Bottom