Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I am trying to guage the interest in a ride in the Kiamichi area of southeastern Oklahoma sometime this spring. I have heard a lot of good things about the area and think it would be a fun alternative to Muenster.

Everything I read about it says there is singletrack, doubletrack and fire roads throughout the area.

Quote from the Places2Ride Web Site

Broken Bow
Located in southeastern Oklahoma this is mostly open timber land that is owned by the Weyerhauser Co. There are hundreds of miles of connecting roads that range from pig trails to hard packed gravel, between these are all types of trails. Terrain ranges from mountains to muddy bottoms. From Broken Bow take Highway 259 north.
For the latest information on access and maps of this area contact the Weyerhauser Company at (580) 981-2211 or
(580) 835-2336.
More of this area in Le Flore, Pushmataha, and Mc Curtain counties have been opened recently... more info as we get it! - Ed

There are numerous state park and one private ranch that we could base out of.

Anyone interested?

Confirmed for May 1st/2nd

Keetoman
No_Mo
slo' mo
strsfan2 (my son)
Tony Eeds
tx246

Who else ?!?!?!?!?!

The bus is filling up!! :yeehaw:

cdcracing
Enduro_Nut
JMD
Keetoman .. and at least 5 buddies
Okiewan
OldMaiconut
slo' mo
Thump
Tony Eeds
tx246

Dang sure gonna try

none at the moment

On the fence

BSWIFT
Calcaneus
craig_enid
Danman
evenslower
grady and Stan - sittin' on the fence in the bay ...
OKKX'er
motohead00
yzguy15 and his "old man" ... careful who you call old!! :scream:

Re questions:

Permit Fees: There is a $25.00 annual WMA permit fee required. 01/01 to 12/31, so we can get a lot of use out of it. From what I understand you can purchase them the same place you get hunting/fishing licenses. Don't know if they are available statewide or only in the local area.
Titles: Doubt it, but I will ask tomorrow.
Spark Arrestors: I imagine they are required, but with so many ways into the area, and many of them being fire roads where cars/trucks and such can go, who knows. I'll ask.

Last edited:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I am...

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Put me down for "on the fence" as usual. Depends how late in the spring and how things are going with the new baby in the house. Any day now...........

Sounds great though.

Last edited:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i did some work in that area about ten years ago. it's beautiful country. it's a whole different world though. we needed to hire a local to help us out for a few months. nearly everyone in the area was unemployed but nobody wanted to work. we finally ended up hiring a school teacher that had gotten laid off. it was like "job" was a dirty word. the people were nice, just a little strange.

be sure to take all the fuel, parts, etc. that you need. some of those areas are pretty remote. gps and quad maps are a must too.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
tony,
you know im up for it. ive talked to some people who quad and they have been up there and had a great time. seems that there was an annual permit to ride$25.00. they rented some cabins that backed up to the place and once off the trailer they were good to go. in you search of information could you check on bike requirements ie spark arrestor, title, ect.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by tx246
tony,
you know im up for it.

Work on Jay ;)

MTRIDER

Aug 20, 2000
Do a little research on were you start. You can end up in sections that have nothing but double track for 20 miles...there is also an mx track in the upper central part ....

Watch out for the yeti :)

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
I've been wanting to ride that area for a while now. The guy with the resort has offered to provide some guide services if we stay there. Worth checking out.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by MTRIDER
Do a little research on were you start. You can end up in sections that have nothing but double track for 20 miles...there is also an mx track in the upper central part ....

Do you know of some good places to camp?

I have heard about the State of Mind Ranch and Talimina State Park. The ranch is supposed to be primitive, according to the owner. I talked with him on the phone Sunday a week ago. Talimina probably has all the usual facilities, hookups etc.

I'm going to call Weyerhauser today.

Last edited:

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Put us down for on the fence (me and my old man). Depends on how this trip falls around the TCCRA race schedule, school schedule, work schedule, etc etc. This does sound like a lot of fun.

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
If Eric and his 'old man' can go, I guess that me and my 'young punk kid' can go.

So put us down, sitting on the fence.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Depends on my "on-call" schedule and the OCCRA race schedule but I would like to attend and ride.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
FYI - According to the guy that owns the State of Mind Ranch the area is about 2 1/2 hours from DFW. Likely a similar amount from OKC.

Originally penned by Mr. BSWIFT
Depends on my "on-call" schedule and the OCCRA race schedule but I would like to attend and ride.

Post up the race dates and your work schedule and we will try and work around them. Late in the month (especially the weekend before the 31st is out from me because of work). We can push into early April if that works better. Maybe the dogwoods would be out by then.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by Enduro_Nut
Sounds fun - I'm in if I can get away from work.

This would be a good one to not miss.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
We're talking about just a weekend correct? TCCRA races March 14th, March 28th, April 11th, and April 25th. Don't try and work around that too much because, knowing us, something will come up and we wont be able to make it.

A side note, as far as spark arrestors go, does anybody know how I could get just the SA part for my PC T4 exhaust that came on my katoom? Can you get that part from PC? The guy I bought it from didn't have the screen piece.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Sorry, BSWIFT is out, out of a job. No riding anytime soon.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by BSWIFT
Sorry, BSWIFT is out, out of a job. No riding anytime soon.

You want to come to Abilene TX for a few weeks? I have got a 17 story building that is not getting the fire detection/alarm and security system installed in a timely manner? In fact we have spent the last three days trying to get them to meet with us without any luck.

We may have to run off the contractor.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Tony, sent you a PM.

Top Bottom