Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
JMD said:
Grady, what about you and Stan? Butch? Lorin? Good opportunity to throw some mud on me. Bring it on.

Would have went, but the yearly Powerstroke rally is this weekend, and I am looking forward to all the crayfish I can eat :aj:

Hope everyone has a great time!

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Well, it was an amazing ride. I drove all the way from McKinney to Talihina Friday evening, with the storm following me the whole way. I had to stop to take shelter several times when the wind and rain became too violent to drive. I couldn't get Tony on the cell phone, so I had no idea whether any other idiots would brave the tempest. But when I rolled into the Talihena State Park at about 11 p.m., there were eight other maniacs there as well. Tony, Gene, and Randy were already asleep, but Keith, Jeff, Derek, and Darron were in the pavilion drinking beer and Diet Pepsi. Harley, our guide for Saturday, was also there. They said that it had rained like crazy all evening, and had just let up. We told lies until midnight or so, then everybody drifted off to get some sleep.

It rained most of the night, and I began to suspect that it would not be very dusty for Saturday's ride. We got started about 10 a.m. Saturday. The plan was to ride 35 miles in Muse, Okla., for lunch, then ride back. We rode right out of the campground and hit the Indian Nations Trail right away. Surprisingly, it wasn't all that muddy--probably because water plus rocks does not equal mud. It was very rocky, comparable to Cloudcroft or the Zink Ranch. Most of the rocks are planted, but they're sharp-edged. The mud didn't stick to the rocks, though, the way it does around Cloudcroft. Traction wasn't too bad. What was bad, though, were the stream crossings. We made a couple of small crossings without much trouble--water up to the skid plate, bowling ball-sized rocks hidden under the water, but not too much trouble. Still, the combination of slick rocks and wet leaves was giving some riders problems, especially on the hills, and it was pretty slow going. Tony was on his 400M/XC, and while the e-start was pretty nice, he felt he would have been better off on his 200E/XC. I was on my 400SX, and I was wishing all day I had brought my YZ instead. In slow, slick going, it's just more nimble and less work to maneuver. Darron's KX250 was geared a tad high, and that made it difficult in the slow, technical stuff. Dereck and Jeff were riding like pros on their KX250s, though, and Randy's WR250F seemed to be working fine as well. Keith rode his YZ426F like the trials pro that he is, and Harley, our guide, rode a YZ400F. Gene was on his CR250, of course.

The woods were beautiful, pine trees mixed with oaks. The hills weren't extreme, but very rocky, as I said. We hadn't gone four miles when we came to a pretty deep looking creek crossing. Harley said that he had never seen it so deep, and then he plunged right in. He made it more than halfway across, water almost up to the bottom of the tank, when he hit a submerged rock, bounced sideways, and went under. Luckily, he killed the motor before it went all the way under. Keith put his bike on the sidestand and waded across to help Harley get his bike out on the opposite bank. Nobody else felt really good about trying that particular crossing, so Randy and I set out on foot to find a better place to cross. We found one about fifty yards upstream. It was much shallower, but still challenging, and we had to clear a path through the trees just to get to it. I wanted to wait until Harley got his bike started before we all crossed, though, just in case we had to turn back. Harley and Keith took the pipe off and dumped a quart or two of water out. They took off the air filter and squeezed it dry. After about half an hour, the YZF fired up, died, fired again and died, then fired and ran. I went across the stream at our new crossing, paddling a little bit, and spinning on a big rock on the opposite bank, but made it safely across. Keith and Gene came across, and we stationed ourselves in the stream to help others get across. We also cleared out most of the big rocks in the path, underwater and above on the bank. Eventually everybody made it across. We picked our way through the trees to where Harley sat, and all took off again.

A short way down the trail there were several downed trees blocking the way. We had to stop again and lift almost everybody's bikes across. There were other creek crossings, but none as deep as that. One crossing was followed immediately by a steep, rocky (big surprise) hill with no room to get a run. Keith tried it first and made it about halfway. Then Harley and a few others helped him haul his bike up the rest of the way. The hill curved to the right slightly; there was a large, flat, slick rock a quarter of the way up, then a lot of small baseball-sized rocks in the mud. Near the top it got steeper, with an almost vertical clay face six or seven feet tall. I thought I could make it, and should have, really. I planned to ride the left bank and avoide the big rocks, but as I approached, something threw me sideways and I had to head right up the middle. I cleared the first big rock but stalled about halfway up, just like Keith. Had to throttle walk it up with help. How humiliating! Derek, Jeff, and Harley rode right up, spinning tires and slinging rocks and mud like pros. Everybody else had to have help.

We rode a few more miles and wound up on a horse trail winding up a small hill. It was very, very rocky, and with lots more wet leaves than we had seen, the rocks were more slippery. Everybody was having trouble getting up the hill, and it seemed to go on forever. Harley and Gene went scouting, and found a way out with the help of Gene's GPS. We had to head straight down the hill, ride the creek a short way, and hit a trail at the bottom. It was pretty tricky, and Harley wound up riding a three or four bikes down the hill, one at a time. He's young and strong, so I just watched him and rested.

It was already about 1:30, and we had only gone 6 miles! Looked like we could make it to Muse for lunch sometime on Wednesday, if we hustled. So we decided to head back to camp, if we could find a way. Some of our guys had fallen multiple times in the rocks, and everybody was pretty tired of hauling bikes by hand and fighting the rocks and walking around scouting trails. We hit a main trail, followed some ATV tracks, and found a gravel road. A couple more creek crossings and we hit the highway, then rode back to camp. I had a bit of a scare when I reached back and couldn't find my Camelbak. My keys were in it. I thought I had left it on the mountain. I had to go back. Gene was such a good guy, he offered to go back with me. But then I remembered I had put my jacket on over my Camelbak, and it was safe and sound under the jacket. Whew!

We made it back to camp about 2 p.m., with only about 12 miles under our belts, but they were twelve tough miles. I don't think Tony had ever ridden anything that challenging, but he toughed it out with true grit. Everything else is going to be easy from now on. Gene didn't have any problems, and his CR250 seemed to run great. Darryl was returning after a knee injury, and I lent him my CTi2's. This was not a milk run over easy terrain the way you'd prefer for your first ride after an injury, but he came through with flying colors. Keith rode everything there was, except the big hill, without problems. I should have gone back down the hill and tried again, but I was a coward. Randy had come out with his son, who had a TTR125L, but his son wisely decided this was not the right day for him, and he stayed at camp. But Randy had no problems on his YZ250F; nice bike. Derek and Jeff made the big hill and rode everything else without problems. And Harley was a great guide. He stopped to help everybody who needed it, often riding other bikes through difficult sections.

We all went into Talihina for lunch at Pam's Cafe; good burgers and onion rings. Some of us headed home then, and the others went back to the state park to rest up for Sunday's ride. I can't wait to go back. The Kiamichi woods will soak up any amount of rain, and the riding is still fun. I think it's my new favorite place. Thanks, Tony, for setting it up.

Last edited:

hlguthery

Dec 10, 2002
Jim I am glad you had a good time. Let me know when you want to go again and I will make sure we have a more capable guide. It was great to ride with all of you. Harley

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Wow, good report Jim. Didn't leave much for me to say other than to agree that it was some of the most beautiful trails I have ever seen. I definitely want to go back again and see if we can put in a few more miles next time. It was good to see familiar faces and nice to meet a few new ones. Harley, thanks for the dry spot to sleep. I would have been miserable in the tent. There was some serious team work going on in this group of nine. I'm more than ready to serve as a guide at the 500 for any and all who want to come up. Hope to get together soon. Derek

Last edited:

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I wish I could have made it. I would realy like to try that area. Maybe next time. Does it stay cool in the summer like Cloudcroft? I was able to get out for a half day saturday, but the rest of the weekend was all business :(

GhostRider32

Feb 10, 2004
Awesome report Jim. Thanks for the braces. Excellent guiding and help Harley. Gene, your the GPS man. Derek and Jeff showed'em all how to ride a KX up a nasty hill. Randy, Jim, Keeto and Tony made everything else look easy.

I had a good time. Ready for the next one. Yep, I'm regearing my KX and getting me some braces.

Keetoman

Mar 16, 2003
I don't have anything to add other than I tried that big hill two times and both times, I hit some rocks (imagine that) and was out of control from the beginning. Derek, Jeff and Harley made it look easy! I was just glad they made it because one more time at pulling a bike up that slimey hill would have been the end of me!

Maybe next time we will be able to try some of those Indian Tacos!

Can't wait to do it again, guys! Maybe we will make it 20 miles next time!

crf250x_man

Mar 29, 2004
I wish I would have read this forum last week....well that's how my life goes a day late and dollar short. Anyways I am a new to these forums and just getting an idea how to surf them, well on to my point....
I grew up in Heavener, OK... I use to hunt that whole area you folks are talking about. My grandfather had a big cattle farm in Muse, so I know the area pretty well. Now it has been 10 years since I have rode that area by horse back, so I am sure things have changed. But there is a place outside of Talihina to the south I use to fish all the time. It is owned by Waerhouser now, but it has DAYS and DAYS(not miles) of logging roads and trails. It is called Honobia creek, very beautiful area. I would say it's only about 25 mile outside of town. I would be more than happy to show folks this area and ride with them anytime. Now there is no state park in this area so you must come prepared. But there is primitive camping area's, i.e.(find a flat spot to pitch a tent) and from what I remember it does have area's to park campers. I have a good friend who rides his 4-wheeler there all the time, so I will get with him and scout this area out again. I will see how good a area it is for riding dirt bikes and also for camping.

If anyone is interested in making a weekend of it with me I live in Gore, OK. and will meet anyone in Talihina. E-mail me if you are interested in this area. Ride safe.....Lee

e-mail crf250x_man@yahoo.com

hlguthery

Dec 10, 2002
Ghost, Down around Honobia you will run into alot more logging roads, jeep trails, 4wheeler trails, and some (yet few and far between) single track. If you know where you are going you can put down some serious miles in a day. Unfortunately you probably will not get to see your trail guide sink their bike. You will get more comfortable with rocks the more you ride them. The key is to keep enough speed you dont lose your momentum. Heck I am in for anything. Let me know when and where I am signed up.

CRF250X can you not camp at the Honobia Camp grounds (that is where I used to camp when I rode that area)?

GhostRider32

Feb 10, 2004
I'm still in for the next Talihina ride. I said I wasn't going back but I think my frustrations had a lot to do with the wet rocks, my injury (and my fear of reinjuring myself) and my bike being geared wayyyyy to high, I couldn't lug like I needed to. I have already ordered a 1 tooth smaller sprocket on front and am gonna try that and will probably still go up a couple teeth on the rear. Heck, I had to much fun to let you guys get all of it. :)

That said, I'm still up for riding anywhere you guys wanna go. Whether it's the 500, Honobia, Muenster, TMTC or some other place.

You're right, seeing you swim with your bike was great. :yeehaw:

Keetoman

Mar 16, 2003
There were wet rocks there? OH, you must have meant that rock after the turn! :)

You will like the sprocket change! It will make it ride like a different bike.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Try one tooth smaller on the front, if you like it, next time you replace the rear sprocket and chain, put a 50 or 51 on the back with a stock 14 on the front. You will definitely like the movement of the power. The reason for this option is simple. A front sprocket is cheap. If you don't like it, your only out a few bucks. If you like it(you will), going with the bigger rear sprocket will get rid of the chain slap that you will experience with the smaller front sprocket. I ran a 14/50 combo on the KX310(Mamba) and had the power where I needed it all the time. I'm currently running a 14/51 on Brutus and am very happy. Sorry I had to work this past weekend, I will do my best not to miss the next ride.

Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
Body Recovering from Experience

Great write up JMD. You left out the part about swim trunks or waders required next trip (if it rains). I also ordered a front sprocket as soon as I got back. A little lower gearing would have been ideal in the rocks and tight stuff. I had trouble on the hill trying to throttle walk the bike. Hopefully I can run up hill and keep up with my bike a little easier with a 12 tooth up front. Thanks Yamaha for the e-start or I would have dumped the clutch and pelted Gene with a rock clay mixture (if I did, sorry, I never looked back).

I want to go back soon. I have been up there around July and the creeks are a relief. The summer is still cooler up there than in Dallas. I also know where some cabins are with AC at Wolf Pen Gap if it gets a little too hot for sleeping.

I enjoyed the trip and the great bunch of folks I had the pleasure of meeting. Thanks for all the help, pushes, pulls, plastic tie, and duct tape. My pack will have a few more supplies next trip. The jerky hit the spot with a little added throttle grease flavoring. Good stuff!

Harley, you made the trip amusing and enjoyable. Thanks for the guide work (Gene, Keith, & the GPS too). I had many good laughs. Please get in touch with me next trip.

:worship: To the Dirt Bike Gods I met.

crf250x_man

Mar 29, 2004
I will check into that camp ground you are talking about. Now as a kid we would just camp by the creek and spend our time wade fishing up and down it. Like I said it has been 10 years since I have been back, but I will do some checking on it. I know how to get to the creek, just not sure what kind of riding besides logging roads and fire trails. I will be going sometime soon just to ride the area and I will let you all know what I find. I was told by a good source that there are alot of 4-wheeler trails there, you just have to know where to look. Well I will look and get back to you all. It is only about 1 hour from my folks house so I will make it a weekend of riding soon. See you all soon............Lee

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
Glad to hear it was a good ride. I must have forgotten about it. With all this rainy weather here these last few days, I've been spending alot of time on the puter looking for new places to ride. Anyone got any pictures of this place?

Top Bottom