banderson

Apr 30, 2002
my kick starter is all messed up it kicks down and started first kick but it doesnt go back up and wont stay in place what happened? and is it expensive to fix?

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
My best guess is that the return spring inside the right side engine case is broken. Depending on what year KDX you have, the right engine case may come off very easily (older). The newer ones have exhaust valves and water pumps, but don't let that scare you. That engine case that covers the clutch is a pretty easy removal and there isn't much you can damage as long as you stay focused on the kickstarter. You want to remove any broken parts that may be floating around in there before they do any damage to other components. I would guess that it will be expensive if you let a dealer do all the work. But I'd think that the cost of a new return spring would be pretty small, if you do the work yourself.

There is a slim chance the spring came unlatched from its set point on the main (not outer) engine case. You may be able to just re-install it correctly. If part of the main case is broken, then you have a bigger problem. I'd be tempted to try to repair a broken main case with JB Weld or other type of epoxy. Good Luck

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom