bnt55

Jun 28, 2002
I am noticing that it is increasingly harder to kick over my 92 kdx200. It seems like the gears are not catching and I have to move the arm up and down to find a "Catching point". Does this mean the gears are stripped, and what approx. cost to repair (in parts)?

pmeade

Jun 3, 2002
I have the same problem, but not quite as bad. Anyone have any info regarding KDX kickstarters that don't always catch on the first try? The bike is a 2001 KDX 200.

Hoping for a quick/cheap fix... Aren't we all?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Problem can vary from easy to not. Take off the clutch cover and see what's up. Obviously on the '92 I'd more expect a problem, on the '01 I'd expect it to be simpler just due to age.

Oh..I recall a complaint from more than one rider about torque settings for the cover(s) both left & right, I think. Be careful, as some have broken bolts using specified torque settings.

Again..as I recall. I haven't searched for the actual posts on that issue. Was quite awhile back.......

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
recall - recall ... there was a recall?? Oh. :confused:

I have had the same problem w/ my 99' KDX200. I have come to the conclusion that the spline which the gear slides on is slightly worn. I tried cleaning things up a bit but this did not seem to improve the situation. Finally - I ended up purchasing the kick starter shaft, kick-starter spur gear & the rachet. I purchased the rachet & spur gear as these looked worn too. I got these from Cycle-Parts.com. If you need cost & part numbers let me know.

I plan to install these parts some day (one of these week-ends when i have nothing planned). If this does not solve my problem then i am totally confused. :ugg:

Curt Doelman

Dec 22, 1999
I am having the same problem with my kickstarter it's not happening all the time but I know that the gears should be replaced some time. I received a quote from Fredette racing the other day, the gear spur is
$ 69.73 and the ratchet $ 40.74

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000

Attachments

• cpdotc$$2.jpg
    cpdotc$$2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 158

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom