Kickstarter disengaging / best aftermarket pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

zilla

Nov 4, 2001
As the owner of a 98 380EXC I can attest to both recalls. The first for the starter and then the shock mod.. I remember now, it's been a while, but yes there were probs in 98 and KTM did address them. :uh:

zilla

ktm300mxczz

Mod Ban
Oct 17, 2000
last post of this nature

i am also a tech class a and have a bs in chem from bu so stop the bs i was trying to help but i guess i rubbed you the wrong way see ya old men later i mean slow men as for strict he seem s very cool you two seem old and slow.

ps i have never seen a bad prawl on a newer ktm brought in when the problem just occured end.

ktm300mxczz

Mod Ban
Oct 17, 2000
challenge

if you boys want to rock and roll come see me at a mud and snow harescramble in belden ny on any sunday, some of the top ama officials are there on non race day, supercxross, well let them ref

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
What you don't have what it takes to ride fast away from your home turf? I'm sure we could turn up a few AMA types at say Cooperland?:silly:

Go back and reread your posts to see why you got the heat you did. As far as your qualifications what exactly is a bs in chem going to do to fix a kickstarter? Believe me there are PLENTY of members around with significantly higher degrees anyway for whatever it's worth here. Then the whole "tech class a" :eek: Ooooooo, big deal. You seem to be changing direction now that your going to be faced with what you say wasn't so and didn't exist which is typical of most mouth runners. Then there is the "old and slow men" thing, tell ya' what hot rod how about you line up at Dirt Week '02 with a few of our older members and we'll see who's old and who's slow, then again if you would like I'd bet we could find an attractive young woman that you couldn't stand a chance keeping up with either. Oh and seeing that your not quite 8 months my junior I would not be calling too many people old anyway.

rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
Ktm did recall the kick starter parts but they missed the boat .
Allot of these still failed and it was mainly due to the super weak pawl spring that would get mashed and not hold the pawl tight against the gear.
It would slip then catch with all that force of kicking it and break the pawl and the pin sometimes the gear and shaft.
The stainless steel spring was the best fix and was cheap.
I broke several starter assemblies on my 98 380sx and the problem was worse on this bike because of the extra compression the motor made over a 250.The 99 380 had acompression release port. My good friend broke one on his 98 250sx and up until this fall was still riding that bike. He never had any more problems after replacing the spring.
Another problem arises with the needle bearings that the gear spins on .
If you replace this part and the bearing I suggest you use a good bearing assembly lube. It can fail almost instantly without it.
It takes too long for the oil to work into the part on initial start up.
You can use motor oil but by the time you get the side cover back on and everything back together most of that oil will have run off.
The ticket is getting the spring and most of the time the one you buy will be way too long. I was able to cut them in half and then I had two.
I never had anymore problems with the stainless spring setup.
I had two more 380 sx,s after that and this problem never arose.
I remember there was a problem with the shock shaft breaking
because the nut at the end of the shaft had a thin head or was it a bolt that year. I can picture the hex end but not the assembly ( its been a while and so much has been updated) Anyway we had some break when I was helping Weisner test
and allot of the blame was because of the long needle that engaged too soon making the damping hydro lock. KTM warrantied them.

Last edited:

Westex

Dec 21, 2000
Thanks to all,
I really appreciate all of your responses. By the way where do I purchase a stainless steel spring? Is this an upgrade that the KTM dealer will have? Thanks again,
Keith

mike_h

Nov 9, 2000
Hey there, I think this information has already been given, but I'm not very familiar with this part of the engine. So my question is, Which parts are necessary to complete the fix of the kickstarter? I'm am interested in doing the job thuroughly the first time, so I am interested in buying the parts in this area that should be replaced while the engine is open (i.e. pawl parts and kick-shaft seal).

mike_h

Nov 9, 2000
Whoops, sorry about that. It is a 1998 200 MXC and unfortunately I don't have a parts manual.

mike_h

Nov 9, 2000
Does anyone know which parts I need? I am trying to do this before too long so my dad can ride again.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Mike_h,

First of all, read the thread. Second of all, order a parts and an owner's manual from the dealer. The rest should be self-explanatory based on the contents of this thread.

You make it sound like WE ARE the ones holding you up. No, I don't have time right now to go dig out my parts book and give you the part numbers.

If all else fails, call the dealer yourself and ask him what you need. You have a great KTM dealer in Georgia, H&H I believe. Go to ktmusa.com and look them up.

H & H KTM
BARRY,PATTI HIGGINS
8820 BRIGHT STAR ROAD
30134 DOUGLASVILLE GA

Phone 770-920-1371
Fax 770-920-9198

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom