KickStarter Trouble

jharmon

Aug 1, 2001
I have a 1993 KX 250. And my kickstarter doesn't always work. It'll catch a few times so I get a good kick, but once in a while, it acts as though the gears inside aren't catching. Therefore, the kickstarter goes straight down without even trying to start.

I have taken it apart and all the gears and everything inside looks brand new. There is no damage. I'm thinking it may be a spring, but I'm not sure which one.

Has anyone else had this problem? And do you know what I need to do to fix it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jeff

DRK

Dec 31, 2002
I had the same problem with my 89 CR250 several years ago. I tried stretching the spring that pushes axially on the gear, and even using two springs. I even streched the one spring, heated it up and reinstalled it. I never could fix the problem, and must have had the side case off 15 times trying to fix it. I think either the gear or shaft, or both must have been worn. I eventually sold the bike. I had to finesse the kickstarter at the top of the stroke until I felt it catch, then give it a kick. Sorry I could not be more help.

Danny

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
Usually a new spring will fix this. However, assuming that their are no chips etc. in the gear, try putting a very thin flat washer between the spring and where it rests up against the gear.
Test fit the case case carefully before you tighten it up.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…