jharmon

Aug 1, 2001
I have a 1993 KX 250. And my kickstarter doesn't always work. It'll catch a few times so I get a good kick, but once in a while, it acts as though the gears inside aren't catching. Therefore, the kickstarter goes straight down without even trying to start.

I have taken it apart and all the gears and everything inside looks brand new. There is no damage. I'm thinking it may be a spring, but I'm not sure which one.

Has anyone else had this problem? And do you know what I need to do to fix it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jeff

DRK

Dec 31, 2002
I had the same problem with my 89 CR250 several years ago. I tried stretching the spring that pushes axially on the gear, and even using two springs. I even streched the one spring, heated it up and reinstalled it. I never could fix the problem, and must have had the side case off 15 times trying to fix it. I think either the gear or shaft, or both must have been worn. I eventually sold the bike. I had to finesse the kickstarter at the top of the stroke until I felt it catch, then give it a kick. Sorry I could not be more help.

Danny

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
Usually a new spring will fix this. However, assuming that their are no chips etc. in the gear, try putting a very thin flat washer between the spring and where it rests up against the gear.
Test fit the case case carefully before you tighten it up.

Top Bottom