Kind of a roookie

holyinferno

Oct 28, 2008
I am looking for my first dirt bike i am aiming for something under $1000 i was looking at a thump star on ebay its a 2008 model 125cc TDR Pit Dirt Bike and that is $375

But i'm not to sure about thump stars because i am not familiar with the brand

i just would like some advice on getting a first bike i plan to do some trail riding

soo yeah anything would help please????

J-man

May 16, 2007
i dont recomend getting any chinese bike. we picked one up for my little cousin and it started braking after a week and parts are so hard to find. with $1000 tou are on a tight budget, maybe save up some and by a 125 2 stroke

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I second the advice on staying away from the no-name bikes. I never known anyone to be happy with them and I have met a few folks that have such a bike sitting in the garage because some stupid part broke and they can't get a replacement.

The first bike I owned, (which I bought only 5 years ago) was a 1986 Yamaha YZ-125 (two stroke) I paid $600 for, and it included a helmet, gloves, goggles, chest protector and boots. I still wear the boots, but they are pretty thrashed now.

The bike ran OK when I got it, and after a simple jetting adjustment it ran great. I can still buy OEM parts for it, including a new set of plastics I put on a year or so ago. I have since bought a 250 two stroke I use for riding enduros but for just fun rides I still like riding that 125.

You should be able to find some decent bikes that have a lot of life left in them for under $1000.

Fill out the "sticky" form at the top of this forum. It will provide us with enough information to help you out.

Rod

Apr 30, 2007
For trail riding, any type of "pit" bike will be far too small for any sort of comfortable, let alone enjoyable, ride for a full sized person.

If your budget is dictating 1000, the model you want to get will depend on your characteristics.

How tall are you, and how much do you weigh?
Are you an aggressive person and will you learn quickly?

(As others have pointed out, fill out the form found under "Help Us Help You" in this forum section)

Another important question is "How much have you budgeted for gear?" Even trail riding, (even slow trail riding) is very hazardous. The minimum gear should include a quality full-face helmet, Chest protector, and sturdy over the ankle boots (motocross boots preferred!!! NOT doc martins lookalikes that barely cover your ankle with flimsy fake leather. NOT "hiking" or tennis shoes or flipflops either!!)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…