dirtballer

Aug 17, 2008
My buddies 96' kdx200 has been lacking in power, so we pulled the cover for the kips and noticed it does not rotate when the engine revs. It does rotate easily by hand with a needle nose though, but does not spring back like it should. At least it is not stuck like I read some get. On my own kdx 220, the kips work great, and when I rotate it with a needle nose it springs back.

So is there some kind of spring in there that is perhaps broken on my friends 200?

Do these symptoms point to specific problem with the kips, or does it just need to be cleaned?

We are hoping to go riding tomorrow, so wondering what Gaskets we need at a minimum to fix this, if any?

Thanks!

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
If it's the pin broken on the bottom of the shaft, no, the head would not have to be removed. To inspect the rest of the KIPS though, you would have to remove the head.

dirtballer

Aug 17, 2008
We are finally getting around to fixing his KIPS problem. So we are going to take the head off. But what is this "part# 13326"?

I looked at some parts diagrams online but could not find that part#.

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
It does sound like the "governor" actuator broke. They are quite brittle and can wreck things inside your primary case if they snap loose. You will need to drain the tranny oil and coolant, then remove the primary case cover to look for it. It's just a dark metal two pronged piece less than an inch long and maybe just over a quarter inch wide. You might find it in a couple or more pieces if it got stuck in anything in there. Inspect the powervalve governor gears for damage too, since that is the first place the piece might fall into.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom