KIPS (Kawasaki Integrated Power Valve System) Help?

Jul 22, 2004
I just tried to read the KIPS explanation, for the third time on the KDX site :laugh: . I'm not very mechanically advanced. I know enough to get by, and im learning new stuff everyday, but that just has me confused. If anyone could explain it in "dummy" terms, i'd really appreciatte it :worship:

Jul 22, 2004
Sorry, i didnt include that did i, heh. Actually im just trying to figure out how it works, and what it does I. cant quite figure it out. :think:

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
Here is an explanation taken directly out of the service manual for what it does. "KIPS changes exhaust port demensions so that the exhaust system characteristics match engine speed. KIPS helps the engine to breathe in fresh mixture and breathe out exhaust gas more effectively, improving horsepower and fuel economy over a wide range of engine speed." I just noticed that you have an 89 which has a different KIPS system than the newer models. The part i included come from a 95 and up manual. I dont know how much the KIPS changed from 89 to 95.

Jul 22, 2004
ill go get my manual and see if theres anything in it about it. ive looked threw it breifly before, but dont recall seeing anything about it..

Well. I just looked in my blue pouch, and everything that used to be in there is now missing. including the owners manual. a brand new set if metric allen wrenches. 8-12 size metric wrenches. Spark plug Wrench, 2 extra sparkplugs, and a small cressent wrench. Well.. if im not extremly pissed right now. :|

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
your kips is probably the same as my '90 model. The valves are mechanically activated via centrifugal clutch which engages at 6000 rpm and redirects a good portion of the exhaust gasses from additional ports out through the pipe. When the valves are closed, exhast flow(timing) is less and some pressure is directed to the resonator---that metal thingy on the left side of the cylinder. The gasses that go to the resonator "trick" the engine into thinking the straight area of your pipe(you know---the 12" real curvy part that goes into the engine--which is all the same diameter, before it starts to get really big around)is longer, which helps enhance low end performance---like the Fredette torque ring. At high rpm the resonator is shut off and all exhaust exits directly through the ports and out of the pipe---sort of increasing the flow(port timing) and "shortening" the straight section---good for high rpm power---ei the piston is moving so much faster that the effective length of the pipe must be shortened to help the return wave supercharge the cylinder. I could be wrong! :eek:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom