kips oil leak

mosesbmx

Dec 14, 2003
hi, when i ride my bike (91 kdx 200) then put it away, i get a few drops of oil or spoogy looking stuff comming out of the tube that comes out of the kips valve. is this normal or is something wrong. thanks guys. :)

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Not sure what tube you are talking about?

Is it coming from the rubber boot that covers the KIPS shaft lever?

If so could be a bad o-ring or maybe the KIPS rod retainer screw has backed out

mosesbmx

Dec 14, 2003
wibby said:
Not sure what tube you are talking about?

Is it coming from the rubber boot that covers the KIPS shaft lever?

If so could be a bad o-ring or maybe the KIPS rod retainer screw has backed out

on the left side of the engine theres a metal cover that has kips writen on it, theres a thin hose coming out of it that goes down and comes out under the engine. thats where the oil comes from. thanks :thumb:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Hmmm, is this one of those oil injected kdx's?

mosesbmx

Dec 14, 2003
wibby said:
Hmmm, is this one of those oil injected kdx's?

not sure its an austrailian bike. i dont know if ther different to american bikes. its only afew drops then it stops. :thumb:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The helmholtz resonator (that you're looking at) is a chamber that is open to the exhaust stream any time the KIPS is not activated.

If you're not jetted very well it will build up with all sorts of goo. You won't be getting it out without a cylinder tanking.

You might try taking that cover off and cleaning out what goo you can. It's advantageous (it being a tuned/resonating volume) to not have it full of junk.

The 'H' models don't have that tube. Sounds like a drain for the express purpose of letting accumulated junk out.

A properly jetted bike will have little such accumulation.

kdxfreeeek

Sep 18, 2003
ide love to ride i australia crap ive never left florida lol you guys atta se my 96 kdx 200 im running a 15/48 gear ratio and the usual upgrades shes pretty bad 5th gear wheelie at the flick of the throttle.

later guys hit me back

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…