KDXTrreme

Oct 31, 2001
OK, I'm a little upset with my moto right now.. Or perhaps it's with my mechanical abilities :flame: I had lost all my low end power and figured my kips valves were sticking open. WOW, I was right, when I got the advancer shaft cover off it was stuck in the open position. I had just replaced the piston 5 months ago so I did not replace it this time. I just cleaned everything, relubed, and put it all back together. I cleaned all the valves and gears extremley well. Upon recomendation from Fredette, I turned my main valve shaft around 180 deg. so I'd have fresh gear teeth where the advancer shaft "claw" meets with the main shaft. And I bought a new "claw". I can turn the main shaft by hand and everything is smooth as silk, valves open/close, no hang ups. When I put the claw on the advancer shaft and test the mechanism it still sticks open ?!?!?! It's the mating of the claw and the main shaft gear.. BUT they're both new parts?!?! Has anyone else had this problem? I basically feel like I rebuilt my topend and purchased this $56 "claw" for nothing. Is there a way to raise or lower the height of the advancer shaft? This may help some of the binding.
Anyway, thanks for any help you can give!

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I'm not quite sure how you swapped the shaft 180 degrees, because as you can see from the picture of my '96 - which should be the same as your '98, that shaft does not look like it can flip 180. Are you sure you interpreted Jeff's instructions correctly? Can you give a more detailed explanation?

Attachments

• pvparts.jpg
    pvparts.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 167

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
BTW...make sure you support that advancer shaft when you are working on this stuff. There is a flat on the shaft for that purpose.

If you've unwrenched the LHT nut without supporting the shaft it would be a good idea to replace the shaft now..before it breaks and destroys something.

You mention the KIPS mech is free when 'disconnected'. How about the sprung end? It operates freely also?

Are the teeth aligned such that when fully opened both toothed pieces are fully engaging only teeth? Not running up on the 'edge' of the teeth?

Curious....what was your cylinder torqued to? And the head?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Meant to bring my svc. manual in today...fergot it.

So, looking for some KIPS pics, I find this on CDAVE's site, (courtesy of bryan kimsey). I thought I was missing something in BRush's pic, and now I see what it was. The RH main shaft gear does indeed have 360º teeth, so aligning the 'claw' in such a way as to engage the 'edge' of a segment of teeth isn't happening.

So forget my question about that. ..could have just edited it out, but I didn't want to miss the chance to look stoopid. ;)

Attachments

• kips rh side gear.jpg
    kips rh side gear.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 157

KDXTrreme

Oct 31, 2001
Unfortunatley, I am unable to see these pictures... However, I went riding on it the other day and the power valves seemed to be working.. Power was great! BUT, I'm still uncomfortable with the situation.. Surely it's not "supposed" to bind like that if you turn the shaft manually.. Oh well, any more ideas??? Thanks for your replys!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom