KIPS resonator modifications

jpm200

Aug 15, 2002
Working on the bike today I found that a piece of 6mm aluminum plate has been profiled and added under the LH resonator cover to make it a larger volume.
The addition doesn't appear to be "factory"
The bike is an 89 KDX200 SR

Any ideas on the advantages?

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
The whole idea of having the resonator is to increase bottom end. I'd guess the idea here is to even increase the bottom end more. I thought about doing something like that... If you wouldn't mind, would you try running the bike without the spacer, and then see how it runs? If there is less bottom end with it out, then I want to build a spacer too.

Thanks,

Jon!

jpm200

Aug 15, 2002
It has been glued really well to the resonator cover. I had a go but I am worried that I will break something if I try harder to separate the spacer from the cover. Sorry.

Boot

Jun 11, 2002
There was a small discussion here about this modification a while ago. The consensus seemed to be that it was a waste of time, with no noticeable improvements to bottom-end power.

It won't hurt to leave it in place, though, jpm200. If someone's gone to all the trouble of making up the spacer and gluing it to the cover, just leave it. Maybe you get 2% more bottom-end torque for free...

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Regarding the mentioned thread: I don't recall there being any definitive result...or that it was even experimented with. Just talked about.

Kinda like adding a torque ring to the pipe. Certainly there's some reason to go to the trouble of engineering the complicated mechanical KIPS in the first place. Would be nice to know what the formulation is for determining resonator volume.

But, not having that, empirical justification would be great. Jpm...don't ruin your existing cover....just buy a NEW one for testing!!;) Let the rest of us know how it works!

...and next time you're riding in the state of jefferson I'll buy 'ya a brewski! (From oz? Yeah...I'm safe on THAT bet!)

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
So what is the purpose of the chamber, is it a resonator like in the inlet?

No I think not, it’s purpose is a disrupter to help counter the harmful effects of the pipe’s returning wave at lower revs. Honda’s ATAC chamber was used for this porpoise. Therefore I don’t believe a variation on size will be of any benefit. Not that that would stop the aftermarket selling you something & claiming better fuel mileage, reduced wrinkles and better dynamic sex appeal. Maybe your bike needs a course of Magnets to polarise it’s ying or something.

Send your cheque to the usual address. ;)

Careful, Canyncarvr an Aussie WILL probably travel that far when a free beer is in the offering.

jpm200

Aug 15, 2002
Went back to my noise text from uni to work out the effect of changing the volume.
A Helmholtz resonator is used to drop noise and is most effective on fans and things that run at a constant speed.
The device would dampen the pressure waves most effectively at a particular frequency with effectiveness dropping off the further you move away above and below that frequency.
The fundamental frequency of the device can be calculated from

f = c * sqrt(A/LV)

where c = the speed of sound
V = the volume of the chamber
A = the effective area of the inlet
and L = the effective length of the inlet.

The net effect of this is that the increase in the volume provided by the spacer causes the resonator to operate at a lower frequency.

I still haven't got my head around the effect in the real world not knowing the actual frequency that the original was optimised for and exactly what the application is to a 2 stroke exhaust.
It took long enough to get my head around what each of the expansion, reduction and stinger parts of the exhaust do let alone the modifications to this by an opening and closing resonator.

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I still haven't got my head around the effect in the real world not knowing the actual frequency that the original was optimised for and exactly what the application is to a 2 stroke exhaust.

Exactly!

And...why are returning waves bad at low revs? 'Things' are slow enough that returning waves contaminate the incoming A/F charge (time enough to stuff too much already burned fuel back into the cylinder)?

It does all come down to 'tuning' of the system..and the resonator (and the rest of the KIPS) dynamically effects that tune. The wherefores hows and whys of that I certainly don't get MY head around....

Increased sex appeal? WoW...there's a most excellent porpoise!! Maybe even a SPECIAL porpoise?? ;)

Let us not forget the yang of the matter! Magnets work for that, too?

cool

...it's in the mail.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom