KIPS stuck in engine?

jirvine

Oct 21, 2001
My Kaw manual doesn't seem to cover the 2000 kips arrangement and I've looked through some of the stuff on tech tips but I'm literally stck. Got the cylinder off OK no problem with the shaft, took out a couple little bolts and the allen and removed the horizontal shaft, don't see anything else to remove. The valves wouldn't budge. Some kerosene and pushing/etc has got them moving like they want to come out but no go. Are they just stuck from the carbon crud in there? The plan is to let them soak a bit over night. Anything I'm missing here?

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
I posted the same question like a week ago. LOL. They should just pull out but yep carbon is the probably the culprit. I used Subaru upper engine cleaner. TOP STUFF. After a liberal spray all over with that product and everything just slid straight out (covered it GOOP).

jirvine

Oct 21, 2001
manual year

Copyright is 87, bike is )). Obviously this KIPS part isn't there. Is there any web manual I can use or buy?

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Uh ... I think that he is working on a 2000 model KDX but has a 1987 model manual. Is that the case???

jirvine

Oct 21, 2001
That's it, can't type. I just spraying carb cleaner in there and it is doing much better.

Krusin

Jul 5, 2004
Factory Service Manual

The Manual you have is not for your bike, no matter what the supplement.

The Kawasaki part number for the 2000 KDX200H Service Manual is 99924-1181-07. Have your dealer order one up or go to Kawasaki's web site and click on Vehicle Information in the header. It will then allow you to select your vehicle, by type, then by vin or year and model. You will then be able to view the factory part numbers for just about everything on the bike.

jirvine

Oct 21, 2001
I want to order from Kawasaki but they are back ordered! Oh well, have a new piston kit coming, will clean up the KIPS, reed looked fine, throw it back together. Thanks

jirvine

Oct 21, 2001
Too late, I ordered from Kaw, should have checked Ayers, they are pretty good.

Bizerk

Feb 28, 2004
www.repairmanual.com

Kawasaki Service Manual# 99924-1181-06.

Check out the "Just KDX" website under tech info for more info on KIPS and top end rebuild:
http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/

Also check out Eric Gorr's website for all kinds of rebuild and tech articles.
<------Just click over there where it says "Eric Gorr's".

Later... ;)

jirvine

Oct 21, 2001
Thanks for the input.. My new manual came from Kawasaki Friday and I finished the disassembly and cleaning Saturday and got it all back together today. Runs fine with a new piston and a freed exhaust valve.

jirvine

Oct 21, 2001
I hadn't taken a piston off a bike in 40 years. A little booger to get the cylinder back over the piston and I had my fingers crossed that the kips was all together right. Any break in tips?

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Look around and you'll see lot's of break in information. I always run the bike through three heat cycles. Start bike, let it run at low rpm until hot, cool, repeat. Ride.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
It's a good thing to check your compression after the first ride or so. This way you have a starting point for a refference when you check it later. EG has told me not to check it when the rings are brand new but to let them break in for about one ride before checking compression.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…