fmfkdxrider

Aug 24, 2002
I was wondering if this setup would work?? and if it does does it work well? does anyone knoe a place i can browse for used parts?? i think it would make my kdx look trick becaus ethey dont have those funky black things on the front,, reply thanks

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
there are several other posts on this subject and from what I have heard the KLX upsidedown forks have the same shortcomings as th KDX rightsideup forks and isn't really worth the cost. If wanting upsidedown forks go with the KX125 forks. There are a few people on this site that have done it and achieved dramatic results, so they say. Evidently it is money well spent. You also have to lower or raise(not sure) the rear end also, when you do this mod, which will require you to get new dogbones for your rear linkage. Anyhow if money isn't a prob I hear it is worthwhile to do. Wish I could help more but someone who has done this WILL read this and tell you how EXACTLY to do it. Good Luck

Obie#8 ;)

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
um well i'de say i got this one covered.my 99 kdx200 has klx usd's .racetech gold valves/springs,along w r shock revalve,300 stock guts r as bad as the kdx if u don't fix that don't bother.it's super....not like havin kx forks but it's an upgrade imo having ridden stock forked kdx's.no rebound clicker but could send em out for that.i love it,handles sweet,predictable,not as flexy,less unsprung wt,less underhang,confidence inspiring !..best part is all the stuff swaps over.u can use the lower clamp from the 300 but get a better upper is my opinion.i have a scotts upper w damper/big pt bars....oh looks sweet too i got pics lol

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
owenlo i want to disagree and i don't.u mention good points but for the reasons i said above esp the swap of parts the cost and installation is an up side.u need everything to swap kx forks....stem,clamps,wheel,brakes,axle etc.if u find klx forks cheap and put a couple hundred bucks in em it's worth it and u'll like it better i think.i'm glad i got em.again not claimin kx or super earth shatterin results.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Hey gooby, if you don't mind me askin' what did the forks and all the mods run ya? And where did you get the forks? If you don't want it broadcast just pm me. Thanks.

:worship: :worship:

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
no prob...i cheated i bought the bike this way.the reason why i responded to the ad was the mods ,i liked what i saw and got it.i have a 99klx too if anyone knows where to get forks my friends at www.planetklx.com at the yahoo disc group.i've seen forks for sale before ....not sure how much but not as much as kx forks (that need guts to fit u as well)go for.i'll bet u can get klx forks and upgrade guts for the cost of just kx forks that need stuff and all the other parts to make the swap.i'll post over at planet if u want ,e me if u need any info :)
dennis

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Thanks Dennis, I looked at your pics, and that is quite a collection of bikes. The KDX looks schweet! Now tell me honestly, you like to ride the KDX more don't you! Come on tell the truth.

Ride Hard!! :aj:

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
The KDX250 for the 91-94 years use the same forks. The springs are a bit different in length, but the forks spec the same. Also a 91-94 KX has the same units.

Just remember these units do not have a rebound adjustment stock. It is about $300 to install one from Stroker. Personally at that cost, swap to a newer KX front end that has larger forks and more adjustment.

The one nice thing about the KLX is they use a stiffer spring than the KDX. a .38kg spring vs a .34-.35kg. Stiffens the front end up nicely with those springs in my KDX250 with a short XR400 spring stacked on top to make up the difference in length.

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
I am glad you disagree and dont, because I am only relaying what I read to the man asking the question. I do understand that they ARE in fact better than stock KDX forks. My point was simply if you are going to spend that kind of money why only go HALF way. I would save a little longer and get what was going to do the best job for what I wanted to accomplish. The guy may be LOADED with cash, and I was offering an alternative if money is not an objecy.JMO

Obie#8

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
gooby, I hadn't seen that picture. I found myself just staring at the screen. It looks mean, are those devol frame guards on there? Oh, and also does it track any different, or feel different in any way? I think I am turning GREEN with envy. Thanks.

:yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
thanks RJ,no they r works connection.if u look through the shroud u can see the rad brace ,also rad guards instead of the plastic deflectors and rear caliper guard....all works conn.. moose skid plate/b busters,devol pipe guard round out protection.different.....gone is the usual kdx wanna dump ya ,wallowy feeling,it's predictable,sure footed.

Last edited:

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
owenlo,please i didn't mean it like that...i wasn't tryin to argue aginst ur post...really.or put u dn and tear up the GOOD points u made.i've struggled those very points myself.so no offence ment. :)
Matt cool info,i see it this way....the klx is an awesome handler so there r worse things than sayin ur bike handles as well as a klx no matter what u think of the klx otherwise.i just never liked the stock kdx forks and never will.so i guess if ur gonna do it do kx forks is the conclusion in all the posts ...i'm doin just fine with my kdlx thanks.question:how many have ridden a kdx w kx or klx forks,or the kdx250 since they qualify on this issue and how do u see the difference??i've ridden several stock kdx's and mine....lookin at a 03 too.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
If anyone is interested a friend of mine might be making a complete 2001 KLX300 front end available. Forks have 8 to 10 rides on them. If anyone is interested fire off a PM and I'll see if I can't round up some more info for ya.

David

Dazza

Jan 1, 2002
Why don't you look at the KTM front.I have been through the "fork" thing and found the White Power shocks are fantastic.You also get the Brembo brakes.
Yes it does cost a bit but if your going to do a fork change make sure you will
happy with the choice you make.I think the KTM was a better option in the long run than the KLX/KX way.http://groups.msn.com/TheDazzastuff/shoebox.msnw

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom