klx 300

KX04

May 29, 2005
what kind of reliability can someone expect if a klx 300 is taken good care of.... More time between topends than a KDX 200?
would ity have more power than a 03 cr 125 that was used for trail riding

thanks

velosapiens

Mar 18, 2002
KX04 said:
what kind of reliability can someone expect if a klx 300 is taken good care of.... More time between topends than a KDX 200?
would ity have more power than a 03 cr 125 that was used for trail riding

i think a kdx200 is in general a bit more reliable. you might have to top ends twice as often but they're twice as easy. klx's tend to wear out valves. not as fast as the modern high-performance thumpers, but fast enough to annoy me.

a cr125 is a completely different animal. the 125 will probably make more power, but only at very high rpms. i don't think 125's are very good trailbikes. at least not for the trails i like to ride.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
The 125 weighs about 60lbs less than the klx and makes 7-10 more hp on the top end. Of course that doesn't matter if you never use the top end. The KLX will have much more low end power and be much easier to use. I doubt it would last much longer than a well cared for KDX. The KDX lasts an incredibly long time, is super easy and cheep to work on etc. The only advantage I see for the KLX is that it would probably be a better dual sport bike and might hook up slightly better than the KDX in really slippery conditions. IMHO 125's are excelent woods bikes provided you know how to ride them, terrible if you don't.

They dyno charts I've seen put them in the following range

KLX300 = 24hp
KDX200 = 28hp
CR125 = 32hp

None of these are bad bikes, just designed for very different people, pick the one that suits you and have fun:)

My ranking would be as follows:
For me,
Tight woods riding:
casual, super slow trail riding: KDX --> KLX --> CR125
Semi Fast CR125, KDX200, KLX
Race pace CR125, KDX200, KLX

More open terrian
Super slow trail riding KLX, KDX CR125
Semi fast CR125, KDX, KLX
Race pace CR125, KDX, KLX

MX CR125 (the others don't stand a chance).

If you are not used to and refuse to learn to use the clutch and row the gear box constantly to keep the rpms up at all times a 125 will never work well in the woods. The other bikes you can put them in a high gear and lug them around all day. On a 125 you have to keep it singing at all times and use the transmission to modulate the power to the rear wheel.

good luck and have fun:)

DEADMAN888

Jun 20, 2005
I Have A 05 Klx300r And Am Really Happy With It.my Buddy Has An 04 Kdx 200 And I Kep Up With Him All Day Long

plykins

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
I have an 01 KLX 300 and it will run with the 400 thumpers all day. I have a Stroker exhaust system and a Dynojet kit. Have had to only do regular maintenance so far.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…